Problem with left/right channels in surround sound

Shappy 17:38 18 Jan 03
  Shappy 17:38 18 Jan 03

I have a Creative Desktop Theater DTT2200 5.1 surround system.

For some reason which I can't fathom out, although the front left and right channels sound correctly through the front left and right speakers, both rear channels come out through the rear left speaker (I know this because the Creative speaker test puts a test message out through each speaker separately, and both rear messages come out of the left rear speaker).

Any ideas/help very gratefully received.

Djohn 17:46 18 Jan 03

Have you tried swapping the speakers over, just to see if one is faulty?

If the sound still comes from the left speaker, this will confirm that the speakers are ok. If not then it will point to incorect wiring or dirty connectors at the sound card end.

Shappy 18:00 18 Jan 03

Yes - swapped rear left and right speaker connections over and both test messages came out of the right rear speaker, so speakers look OK.

However, your comment prompted me to pull out and re-plug the output leads from the soundcard. They were already firmly in place, but this seems to have fixed the problem. Either that or I also had an audio output cable plugged in to a Firewire video card and I also pulled this out but, having plugged it back in the rear right speaker still works.

Anyway, either way, thanks for your virtually instant response which has helped me fix the problem.

Djohn 18:08 18 Jan 03

Shappy, your welcome, glad i could be of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now