PROBLEM WITH LAPTOP DISPLAY - BLACK SCREEN

Aneal 09:59 22 May 06

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help!

I Have Windown XP Prof.

When I start my laptop everything initially seems fine, with all details comming up i.e Windows displyer loading up etc.
However the problem lies when the computer loads up the desktop screen. The desktop now just displays a black and blank screen? However I can hear things in the background popping up i.e. the virus programme promting me to update etc. but I can see nothing visually?

When I load up in safe mode and VGA mode everything is fine.

When I check the status of my graphics card in VGA mode it says its working.

Any ideas what is cuaing this problem and how it can be fixed?

Please help,

Many Thanks

Gongoozler 10:21 22 May 06

This is quite likely to be a graphics driver problem. I suggest that you start in Safe Mode, uninstall the graphics driver and then reinstall.

woodchip 10:35 22 May 06

Try starting comp in safe mode keep taping F8 as computer starts it's at top of list

in Safe Mode Try running a System Restore to a old date

Aneal 10:41 22 May 06

Thanks so far guys.

Gongoozler - How do I go about uninstalling the graphics driver and then reinstalling?

woodchip - How do I go about doing a System Restore to a old date? I understand how to get into safe mode but what do I do once in?

Thanks again

woodchip 10:45 22 May 06

Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore you should choose Restore then look for bold text on the calender with old date to restore. This will put your drivers back

Aneal 10:50 22 May 06

woodchip - Thanks very much. Will this work even if I have not created a back-up / system restore point or does the computer auctimatically create this?

woodchip 10:51 22 May 06

It should have some old points, May be

Aneal 11:31 22 May 06

woodchip - Hve tried going back 2 weeks prior but the problem still remains? Any other ideas?

Gongoozler 11:45 22 May 06

What is your graphics card?

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:07 22 May 06

Do you get any messages on the screen, had this problem on a CRT many years ago said "out of scan range" with a black screen. had to reconfigure monitor in safe mode. Not sure if relevant with LCD and laptops.

Aneal 13:34 22 May 06

Gongoozler - Not sure, think its an intel one.

Hertz Van Rentyl - No message, just a plain black screen. Almost as if it is just covering the desktop. Hope that helps?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…