Problem keeping OE Folders Tree expanded

Nosmas 21:49 10 Jun 03

I recently downloaded IE 6.0, which has also upgraded OE to v 6.0. Although IE appears to be working without problems, I have found one annoying feature in OE.

I have a number of folders to which mail is directed according to various Message Rules I have constructed. If I click on the "+" sign against the main folder, the "tree" immediately expands to show all the sub-folders. However when OE is next opened the main folder with the "+" sign is displayed, even though I had "expanded" the folders tree before closing OE when it was last used.

Is there any setting to ensure that on opening OE the folders tree will display exactly as it was when the program was last closed?

Nosmas 23:50 10 Jun 03

Any suggestions please?

Megatyte 02:32 11 Jun 03

In any one of your sub-folders right click the first e-mail and select 'Mark as Unread'. The next time that you open OE the tree will be expanded. It don't really have to be the first mail in the folder, just as long as it's not the last, because if it's the last one, when you select the folder, the last message will be selected and marked as read.

AH

Nosmas 13:02 11 Jun 03

Thanks for the suggestion. However this only works as long as there is an unread message in any of the folders. As soon as all the messages have been read, the tree reverts to the "collapsed" state as soon as OE is opened.

This seems to be a deliberate change made in OE v6.0 because when I was using v5.5, the tree always remained expanded when OE was opened, even when there were no unread messages in any folder.

I notice that although the Help file states "If you click the main folder name instead of its plus sign, the sub-folders display in the main Outlook Express window, rather than beneath the folder or server in the Folders list.", on my system that does not happen - it just displays the last message in the main folder.

Does anyone else have any ideas for keeping the tree permanently expanded please?

Megatyte 17:07 11 Jun 03

"However this only works as long as there is an unread message in any of the folders."

That's the reason for marking the first mail as un-read. Once this has been done, as long as the mail is not selected, it will remain 'un-read'. If you need to repeatedly access all mails then just send yourself a blank mail, install that to one of the folders, mark as un-read.

AH

Nosmas 23:12 11 Jun 03

Thank you - suggestion noted. Really don't understand though why Microsoft decided to make v6.0 different to v5.5 in this respect!

accord 07:17 12 Jun 03

Nosmas

I have rules for messages in my inbox in OE6 and when i expand the tree they stay that way even with all messages read. at the moment i have 3 branches out of the inbox tree and all have no unread messages and all are visible.

not sure why or how this dosent happen with yours but have you done a windows update recently or checked on the MS website

Megatyte 03:01 13 Jun 03

It works that way from the Inbox, but if one of your folders from the inbox contains sub-folders then that tree will collapse as soon as all messages have been read.

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…