Problem with just built computer

wally9999 07:57 03 Dec 04

I'm usually a mac guy but now i'm jumping back into the mainstream and building a windows xp computer. Problem being the new system i just built doesn't stay on long enough to do anything. It powers on and can go through the bios and post just fine. It's usually after about 2 min of being on that the screen stops updateing and if if have a disk in, it spins down. So if a cursor is flashing on the screen, it just keeps flashing and no new information is on there, doesn't matter where i am or what i'm doing. Any new ideas on what could be the issue please let me know...thanks for any help

mobo=soyo sy-p4vte
processor=p4 2.6 ghz
memory=512 mb viking
graphics card= geforce2 mx 400
power supply=450 w
monitor=v7 videoseven l17ps (17" lcd)
hard drive=60 gb maxtor

thanks again

Diodorus Siculus 08:00 03 Dec 04

Sounds like it is overheating - are you sure the processor is well seated and installed correctly? I would do that before starting up too often more.

wally9999 08:11 03 Dec 04

thanks for the advice....i had thought that a few hours ago and checked it off as not an issue and moved on. i'm thinking i need to only work on getting one machine going at a time so i don't mix the two up. if you have any other ideas on what else might be causing it, i'm open to all new ideas

Diodorus Siculus 08:52 03 Dec 04

Can you get into the BIOS and set "fail safe" options?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…