Problem with iplayer and Adobe Flash Player

Boblin 14:01 09 Dec 09

I am not computer literate so bear with me.

I have Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X on my Dell. I use Windows Vista Home Basic.

I tried to watch BBC iPlayer but it said I needed Adobe Flash player to run the program (I didnt know at that time that I had AFP9 Active X) and to "click" to download and install. (Version 10.0.32.18) It got halfway downloading and froze, nothing was happening. It would not close when I tried. In the end I switched my computer off. When I switched it on again I tried (using IE8) to watch ITV iPlayer and got the same message. Tried downloading that with the same result.

Every time I switched my computer on it was freezing up and this Adobe message was there and I could not get rid of it. In the end I did a System Restore, but I still can't watch iPlayer.

Should I go into Control Panel > programs and uninstall Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X and download from File Hippo the latest Version 10.0.42.34 (IE)of Flash Player and will this then let me watch iPlayer on BBC and ITV.

Help!

Boblin 14:02 09 Dec 09

I should have mentioned that at the same time Windows said it needed to download and install the latest driver from something called Nvidia Gforce. Which I did.

Boblin 15:13 09 Dec 09

OK so the main question is whats the difference with this Active X - no mention on Flash Player 10

chub_tor 15:18 09 Dec 09

Don't use Contol Panel to uninstall Flash, use the Adobe uninstaller instead click here

Boblin 15:53 09 Dec 09

Thank you chub_tor for responding. Will give it a go.

Boblin 19:20 09 Dec 09

Delighted to say that using the Adobe uninstaller from your link chub_tor I managed to uninstall Flash 9. Then downloaded latest Version 10 of Flash Player from File Hippo.

I can now access iPlayer.

Thank you very much for your assistance chub_tor.

I hope that if anyone else reads this thread with similar problems it is of help to them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced