Problem with internet links

Aristocatman 12:53 26 Dec 09

I'm not sure if this started when I replaced my Alcatel modem/IPcop setup with a BT Home Hub or soon after. I can connect to internet no problem but a short time after using links or say changing pages in a survey, or even clicking login on this forum it all seems to come to a halt I get the message in the lower left of the browser 'waiting for ..... or transferring data from.... & nothing happens sometimes hitting the refresh button a few times will open the page but not always. This is so frustrating! I have tried 3 browsers, BT that is from my ISP, Google Chrome & Firefox the problem remains. Skype works OK, email mostly works OK. I thought it was a BT browser problem as they have problems but browser change made no difference.
Has anybody got any ideas? PC is networked & others on the network don't seem to have a problem.

howard64 11:57 27 Dec 09

it could be the mtu setting - they often set to 1500 but 1458 works best with my netgear router. I am not sure how to set it in the home hub but your manual should show how.

Aristocatman 13:37 27 Dec 09

Thanks for the suggestion I had a good read up online about MTU not a 5 minute job with a network!?
I have been through the Home hub Manager software & help files not a mention anywhere. I tried the ping test, a bit odd. worked OK when packets were fragmented when I got to smaller packet sizes it just timed out every time.
So at the moment I'm fkd!

howard64 14:01 27 Dec 09

do BT have an online helpdesk? they ought to be able to sort it for you.

Aristocatman 14:10 27 Dec 09

Well........ they do, not sure what part of the world it is in but I can guess. I can give them a try, takes a while. You really get the feeling they don't want you to contact them.

howard64 16:30 27 Dec 09

often you get a better response online than you do by phone. Perhaps all the bt home hub experts on this site are asleep at the moment they should also be able to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now