Problem with Internet Explorer 8

anchor 14:05 03 Apr 11

I stuck with IE6 for ages, and at the latter end of 2010 upgraded to IE8.

I have found that every 3 to 4 weeks it causes a problem. On starting it, I see that the top two lines are blacked out; (those linking to favourites & tools).

A system restore does nothing, and I am forced to reinstall IE8. It seems that "might" happen after an update for windows XP.

To see what I mean:

click here

the top image is the one with black lines, the bottom is the normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?.

rdave13 14:19 03 Apr 11

A workaround, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, Themes, and changed themes to manual settings.

anchor 16:39 07 Apr 11

Thanks for the suggestion rdave13. Difficult to say it it helps as the problem only occurs every 3 to 4 weeks.

It does seem that I may be unique in experiencing this problem.

Sea Urchin 17:33 07 Apr 11

It does seem that I may be unique in experiencing this problem

I don't think so - Google "IE8 black toolbars" and you'll find many similar complaints.

One 'solution' that seems to have worked for others is to go to services.msc via Start and scroll down to Themes - change from Automatic to Manual - click Apply and OK.

Sea Urchin 17:34 07 Apr 11

Just noticed rdave13 has already suggested this - I must concentrate!

anchor 12:52 28 May 11

Just a late follow up to my question:

The suggestion given by rdave13 works. I have not had any problems since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…