Problem with Internet Explorer 5.5

sav 23:45 01 Jul 03

I've got a problem with Internet Explorer 5.5, I am unable to access Tools-Internet Options. When I try I get a message box titled 'Restrictions' that says: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on the computer. Please contact your System Administrator".

This problem has only just manifested itself, I could access this menu item last week. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

My OS is Windows ME.

woodchip 23:48 01 Jul 03

Have you tied the rpair tool? from Add/Remove programs double click on Microsoft Internet Explorer choose repair

sav 23:56 01 Jul 03

Woodchip
Thanks for the suggestion.
I went to Add/Remove programs, Internet Explorer isn't listed.
Any ideas?

woodchip 00:01 02 Jul 03

Did you look for Microsoft Internet Explorer or just Internet Explorer

sav 00:10 02 Jul 03

I looked for both.

woodchip 00:14 02 Jul 03

Then try reloading IE from the same disc you used before

sav 00:21 02 Jul 03

How important is it for me to use the same installation disk? (I don't know which magazine disk I got it from)

If I do a reload will I lose my favourites and connection settings etc.?

crx1600 00:27 02 Jul 03

as the problem is just a week old, is it worth trying the 'system restore'

i dont seem to have IE in add/remove either? try start\run and paste in rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

also look for the IE repair under system tools\system information\tools. i can't find it anywhere

click here

woodchip 00:28 02 Jul 03

No you will not lose anything you could even upgrade to IE6 but it's best if you can repair the original first. You could try running SFC from Start/Run type SFC in run box press enter you need your Win98 disc in the comp before you start the above hold the shift key down until you see the CD light stop flashing it will stop it auto starting
. Off to bed now I will check tomorrow Woodchip

Giggle n' Bits 00:43 02 Jul 03

hopefully all will be then be corrected. Or you could do the over an hour download. No install will loose your Favourites just repair or update Ie.

sav 00:48 02 Jul 03

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It's a little bit too late for me to start messing aroundI now, I'll try things out tomorrow.

Night all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…