problem with Internet explorer

unitedman 09:32 02 Jun 09

I am having problems with my PC. When I switch on I get these dialogue boxes appear at the foot of the screen. "Search settings notification, a progroam was blocked from changing your default search settings " the another appears after that simila.
I theh select what web page I want to view and either of the following happen.
1 I get the following message on the top of the page that Internet Eplorer cannot open this page" and nothing I do can open a web page
2 The web page opens and after 5 mins or so I will get the error on top of the page
3 The web page opens and it is OK
I am working windows Vista, is there anything I can do to stop this ?

kindly 09:38 02 Jun 09

I would do a scan of your system first. Dont connect to the net while you do it. Scan for Virus, spyware and Adware. I am not that experienced but I have had a similar thing with mine. My "Maleware bytes" scanner found a couple of things and put it right.
Sorry I am not very helpfull.

unitedman 09:55 02 Jun 09

will try that now

User-1229748 10:06 02 Jun 09

try malwarebytes and superantispyware,remember to update before running.best to run them in safe mode.click here

unitedman 10:19 02 Jun 09

Thanks , Tried that got onto the webpage OK then after 4 mins went to Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

unitedman 10:35 02 Jun 09

how do I run it in safe mode

unitedman 10:38 02 Jun 09

my computer aways wants to update Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment does this make a difference, should I update this?

User-1229748 11:05 02 Jun 09

first go to programs and features and uninstall java then go to this page to install the latest version and see how your browsing is thenclick here

kalignorgna 12:20 02 Jun 09

go to control panel and click on Java, now click on the update tab then click update now.

there is no need to uninstall java before hand!

once Java is updated see it IE works any better

if it still does not work try downloading a new version of IE from microsoft download centre (verson 8 is the newest one). then remove your curent IE with add and remove programs then install the copy you downloaded

also you could try installing the newest verson of flash and shockwave from adobe.com if not allready up to date.

birdface 13:32 02 Jun 09

What happens if you remove IE7 and have problems with IE8.If you remove IE7 it will revert back to IE6 anyway.

kalignorgna 08:35 04 Jun 09

I have heard that there are some cases of reverting back to IE6 that cause errors jue to missing files that are deleted when you remove IE6. But in any event most the bugs that where in IE8 beta are now sorted and it works a lot better then IE7.

The main reason for downloading the new version is jue to the problem mentioned as it will probably linger on in IE6 once IE7 is removed. The best way to ensure this does not happen it to download IE from the Microsoft download centre and install the program, it doesn’t have to be IE8 you can download IE6 from the site as well. Doing this will ensure that any problems with the current installation of IE will not reoccur once it is removed and replaced by a newly downloaded installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…