problem with internet explorer

mikeyboy32 14:15 03 Jan 05

hi, when i use internet explorer on a few sites(particulary ebay nearly every time), this message appears 'there has been an internal error and will shutdown'.Which means i then have to start internet explorer over again.
Any ideas why this is happening? And what i can do to correct the error?

mikeyboy32 14:37 03 Jan 05

It's just done it again.
The actual message reads 'lexplorer. internet explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down'
The only site this happens on is ebay it seems.

Stuartli 17:11 03 Jan 05

One useful listing:

click here

It could be to do with your Privacy and Security settings - check they are not set too high.

mikeyboy32 19:38 03 Jan 05

I'm just had a look at my security controls.they are at medium at moment.Was going to change to medium-low but it's advising that this is not recommended.
What would you advise? is this safe to change this setting?

bof:) 19:42 03 Jan 05

Hi have you tried downloading something like Mozilla and giving that a try?

click here

see if you can access ebay using it?

Also is your Internet explorer the most upto date version?

Mike

mikeyboy32 19:49 03 Jan 05

i'm using i.e.5. i'm also using windows 95 (it's an old machine!).i can access ebay fine its just that after using for a couple of minutes the message comes up and shuts i.e. down.

bof:) 22:12 03 Jan 05

Hi mikeyboy32, is it possible to run IE6 on win95? I'm not sure but I do know its more security aware than IE5.

Why I suggested Mozilla was to see if you could access ebay without the problem still happening.

Also, I cannot remember if you have the option to repair IE5 in win95 if memory serves me right, it should be in.......control panel...add/remove programs...click on Internet explorer....remove and you get an option to repair it.

Mike

Stuartli 10:35 04 Jan 05

I would think the best you can do is to step up to IE 5.5 - IE6 is intended for use with XP and previous versions of Windows will not be provided with the enhancements which have been incorporated.

IE 5x home page for downloads, updates, support etc:

click here

Confab 10:46 04 Jan 05

Try an IE repair click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…