Problem with Internet Explorer

redflash 23:00 16 Feb 04

Message received when I click on Internet Options in Internet Explorer
'This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.'
I am the system administrator and running Windows XP Pro any help to resolve this issue will be much appreciated

cycoze 23:08 16 Feb 04

Are you running any programs like spybot search and destroy , which may have done this ?

woodchip 23:17 16 Feb 04

You could try this click here

cycoze 16:14 17 Feb 04

I have already uninstalled AdAware which I had thought could be the problem but no luck - the situation remains the same. Thanks for your suggestion anyway. end.

redflash , no need to uninstall ad-aware , i only asked about spybot as more and more people are using the software along with other programs like it , some of these programs have the facility built into them to stop IE settings being changed , for instance with Spybot - Bring up spybot and select the first tab on the left marked `spybot-s&d` , next click on the immunize icon , now in the right hand pane scroll down , you should see three check boxes , the bottom one is `lock ie control panel from opening within ie(current user) , uncheck it , you may have to close IE and reopen for the setting to be cleared .

As you made no mention of spybot it may be an idea to download and update then run this program along with Ad-aware as its a possibility spyware/adware/BHO is causing the problem , other than that i can only suggest you have a look at other programs configurations you may have installed ie spyware gaurds , firewall etc , also worth checking your actually logged on as admin , a repair as
woodchip suggested is another alternative .

One more program worth keeping in the armoury is BHODemon from click here its small and its free , it will find Browser Helper Objects and disable them at your request , note not all BHO`s are bad .

cycoze 16:16 17 Feb 04

Link for Spybot-s-d click here .

Matt45 16:29 17 Feb 04

I have a Creative 5.1 Speaker System. If there's a huge gun battle or a major car crash in a game I'm playing which makes a lot of noise the speakers just stop working. After a restart they work fine again but it is beginning to get quite annoying. Has anyone else had this problem and does anybody know what could be causing it and how to fix it?

Thanks

Matt45 16:29 17 Feb 04

Sorry about that! Thought I was starting a new subject!

woodchip 21:10 17 Feb 04

Check Device Manager for Creative conflicts. The DOS emulation Driver seems to clash in it's use of IRQ You can choose to disable this in Windows as it's not needed if you only run Windows games

cycoze 20:41 21 Feb 04

Via email "Thanks for the suggestions but all tried without any success - I am back to square one I regret to say and very frustrated. Will I ever get a 'fix' for the problem!!!!
redflash ".

redflash try this , Open up the Group Policy editor:Start -> Run... -> gpedit.msc , Navigate to:User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Browser Menus -> Tools Menu: Disable Internet Options , and disable the policy .

You may have to enable it , exit , then disable it .

greenlamp 21:37 21 Feb 04

This problem is not specific to XP, I have exactly the same with Win98SE. It's more of a niggle really since the Internet Settings can still be accessed via the control panel

Nellie2 23:38 21 Feb 04

there is an interesting thread click here at annoyances.org.

Hope it helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…