problem with intel

unomomento 13:01 16 Jul 06

i have a cybermaxx laptop that works off a wireless router via pcmcia. my other laptop has intel centrino technology but cannot find the wireless port even though it is right next to it. it has windows xp home and its increasing frustrating because i do not want to buy another pcmcia or usb dongle. can any one help me??

FelixTCat 13:30 16 Jul 06

unomomento,

Wireless networking can be a bitch, can't it.

First, is the Centrino wireless switched on? This can be done in both hardware and software.

Second, are you using the Intel software or using Windows to manage the adapter?

Third, have you hidden the SSID in the router? If so, unhide it and try again.

Best of luck,

Felix

unomomento 13:39 16 Jul 06

thanks felix but as soon as i had posted this i had sorted it out, it was just i hadnt turned on the centrino wireless!! amateur. there is another problem though that has lurked in the laptop for a while the pc seems to close down programmes immediately without my command such as a spybot search program, download windows that ask 'Save' or 'Run' or 'Open'. is this a virus or a random sniggle? can it be sorted by myself or by an expert and pay money for it.

FelixTCat 14:11 16 Jul 06

Some programs do automatically finish if no further user input is required. For example, if you download using Internet Explorer, there is an option to close the window when the download is complete; if you have ticked this option at some time in the past, then this will be the default behaviour. Next time you are downloading, look at the download window and you will see the options.

I believe that Spybot Search and Destroy has a similar option to automatically deal with any spyware it finds and then close. I believe that you can go to the options page and change this.

These options exist so that the downloading or scanning can be carried out unattended without leaving a host of open windows on the desktop which simply have a Close button to click.

If you are using Spybot, a virus scanner and a firewall, the chances of you having a virus are much reduced provided you keep the signatures up-to-date.

All the best,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac