Problem installing XP on new Drive

Bam 13:31 17 May 06

I've just purchased a new 300gb Maxtor drive to replace a failed drive.

When trying to install XP pro (boot from cd on new drive) I'm getting the following message during post:

"NTLDR is missing"

The system then just hangs at this point.

Any ideas?

rmcqua 13:34 17 May 06

I think you need to format the new drive.

ventanas 13:46 17 May 06

Are you sure the bios is set to boot from the cd before the hdd. You will get this message if it tries to boot from an empty hdd. I assume also that you have partitioned the new disc.

Also make sure you you are pressing a key to boot from the cd when prompted or it will go back to the hdd.

Bam 14:23 17 May 06

I've def. got the bios to boot from CD. The new HDD is straight out of the box and should be blank. Surely the XP CD should just kick in and continue through the normal installation process i.e. start by asking me to partition the new drive.

DieSse 14:26 17 May 06

With some systems you need to press a key to actually boot from the CD, even after you've got the boot first from CD option set.

Usually a message will appear at the bottom of the screen

Press any key to boot from CD........

possible your XP pro is an upgrade if so all you need to do is put the old XP home or win98 into your cdrom or dvdrom and the installation will continue but it has to be a legal CD

Diodorus Siculus 14:27 17 May 06

[quote]Surely the XP CD should just kick in and continue through the normal installation process [/quote]

I'm pretty sure you will be asked to press any key to boot from CD. Do you get that message?

ventanas 15:06 17 May 06

Also have you used this click here to set it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…