problem installing XP krnl386.exe error

bigboab y 10:44 12 Jan 07

Bought an IBM netvista desktop ..decent spec..I formatted the drive,loaded W98se,then Upgraded to ME (these are the discs I have had for a while) ..however when I try to install XP Pro,I get a message saying "setup has caused an error in KRNL386.exe.Setup will now close"...any ideas what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

rawprawn 11:18 12 Jan 07

Why did you load 98 and ME first, why not just format and load XP Pro?
click here

bigboab y 11:24 12 Jan 07

Was only intending to go as far as ME,but decided to upgrade again to XP.. I've done this before on other machines and never met this problem before.

rawprawn 11:34 12 Jan 07

You are better with a cl;ean install of XP

bigboab y 11:37 12 Jan 07

OK I'll reformat and load XP straight in... I'll keep y'all posted ..Thanks for your time.

bigboab y 12:20 12 Jan 07

Ran the XP disc direct .. formatted drive again...gets as far as "preparing installation "... then shows a fatal error Quote :- "one of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.. Untranslatable message Win32lasterror is 14001 "... different problem. any ideas guys/gals ?? Faulty disc mibbe ??

rawprawn 12:21 12 Jan 07

Is that a full XP Pro dosc that you have?

bigboab y 12:23 12 Jan 07

yes it is prawn

rawprawn 12:29 12 Jan 07

click here there can be many causes but look at the BIOS and see if that relates. I have to go out the rest of the day, but I will look back later. Maybe someone else can offer advice.

terryf 12:29 12 Jan 07

can you download 6 floppies from click here and try install from them

bigboab y 10:03 14 Jan 07

Cause of fault?? The XP Pro disc was faulty... a small scratch on it ... enough to do it in.. moral of story ?? Never trust a second hand CD or a friend of a friend of a friend ..thanks for all your replies guys/gals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…