Problem installing XP Home on new drive.

spuds 18:08 10 Mar 07

Due to problems with one if my computers, I had to remove the previously installed master and secondary hard-drives and install a new hard-drive. Using the original XP Home disk I was able to format the new drive. Moving on from there, I get a message 'Verifying DMI Pool Data.... Error Loading Operating System', with 'blinking' cursor.

The loading procedure will then go no further. The actual XP Home disk was used once only on the previous set-up, using all the same components in the computer (excluding new drive). The display screen now advices that the new drive is present, and the previous disks are no longer present.

Would mention that the disk is OEM (used once), so as Microsoft put the dreaded stop on re-installation of a faulty part!.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 10 Mar 07

Corrupt boot files on the computer

If the computer has no bootable files on the drive it is attempting to boot from it is possible that the computer may halt at " verifying dmi pool data...".

To resolve this issue:

* Boot from a bootable floppy diskette. Ensure that this diskette was made on the same Microsoft Windows operating system that is installed on your computer.
* Once at the A:\> prompt type "sys c:" and press enter. This should report the message "File system transferred". Once transferred remove the diskette and reboot the computer.

If the computer continues to not boot attempt to re-create the master boot record by booting from the bootable floppy diskette again. Once at the A:\> prompt type "fdisk /mbr" and press enter. This should return you to the prompt without giving you any message. Once at the prompt remove the diskette and reboot the computer.

Settings for hard disk drive are not correct

The computer freezing at "verifying dmi pool data..". may be caused when the hard disk drive settings within CMOS are not set properly. Enter CMOS and verify that the hard disk drive settings are set properly and/or that it is set to Auto Detect.

Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue

Verify no floppy diskette or CD is in the computer. In some cases the computer may be trying to boot from either of these drives causing issues with the boot sequence.

Boot devices not set properly

The computer stopping at " verifying dmi pool data..." can be caused when the boot devices on your computer are not set properly in CMOS. First, verify that no CD or diskette is in your computer. If a CD or diskette is in the computer attempt to remove this first to determine if it was attempting to boot from it.

If No CD or diskette is in the computer and your computer still halts at the DMI message enter CMOS and verify that the boot options are set properly. We commonly recommend that the floppy be set the first boot device, hard drive as the second boot device and the CD-ROM as the third boot device.

BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly

If none of the above recommendations have resolved your issue attempt to reset the BIOS / CMOS settings to the factory or default settings.

Connections loose or disconnected

If the computer has been recently moved or new hardware has been installed in the computer it is possible that a connection may be loose or even disconnected. Verify that the hard disk drive, floppy and CD-ROM cables are properly connected.

Bad hard disk drive or other bad hardware

If you computer continues to freeze at the DMI message after attempting all of the above recommendations it is possible that the computer may be freezing because of a bad hard disk drive or other bad hardware in the computer.

Before replacing any hardware we first recommend you attempt to fdisk, delete the partition, re-create the partition and reinstall your computer operating system. Additional information about this process can be found on document CH000186

Diemmess 18:42 10 Mar 07

It is a long way round but might help!

XP should sort out and format the new HD, but I have more faith in starting with the HD manufacturer's own downloaded, floppy sized, HD setup program.

Maxtor has MaxBlast3, Western Digital has a similar "drive copy" which has disk formatting included, and Seagate almost certainly have their's.

It means starting again but if the disk is made ready by using one of these downloads (which do the mustard very quickly), I think XP will install - snag free.

I don't believe OEM will amke any difference to installing. No overwriting of the CD obviously.
Activation might not work until you phone MS's number and explain you have replaced the primary HD.

spuds 10:31 11 Mar 07

Apologies for perhaps sounding a bit confused on this nice Sunday morning.The XP Home disk formatted the brand new Seagate drive, but will not go any further, so I am unable to operate the computer after error message. The floppy disk is also out of the question, no floppy drives available. How do I overcome this situation!.

Just formatted and installed XP Pro on a new computer, and everything went extremely easy :o)

rick808 10:49 11 Mar 07

If you have access to another pc - try putting the drive on there and either reformat with disk management or download the Seagate HD steup programme

Diemmess 15:18 11 Mar 07

I said it was a long way round..... but why not download the Seagate software and burn it on a clean cd.
Boot the ailing PC with this CD in the slot and follow the prompts.

Double check:

1) The jumper on the new drive is set the same way as the jumper on the old primary drive.
2) The CDROM is present in both the BIOS and for the very short screen display before the boot error was shown.

spuds 18:52 13 Mar 07

Still cannot understand why I am getting no joy with this installation of XP Home on a new hard-drive.Everything seems to format correctly, but on reboot- nothing.

I then visited the Seagate website and both DiskWizard and SeaTools are not available due to 'going through a transition' and revision process. So I obtained a older copy of DiskWizard but that seems to tell me that there is a problem: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll.

Bios and jumper details appear okay!.

Any further suggestion gladly appreciated and respectively received.

skidzy 19:08 13 Mar 07
  Spark6 19:16 13 Mar 07

You have not said what your original problems were with the drives on this computer, are they possibly related to your current problem? Would it be feasible to wipe one of the originals, or a spare HD, and attempt an installation on it?

Good luck!

rick808 19:32 13 Mar 07

Had Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll error on an old Dell machine was a faulty DVD drive screwing up the install - try unplugging all other drives and unnecessary devices

spuds 11:53 16 Mar 07

This as been rather an adventure and an educational learning curve, from what I thought was going to be a straightforward new hard-drive replacement and new format.

After making a number of install attempts and on boot-up getting <Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll. I tried various things using some of the information regarding this error, without much satisfaction. Seagate are updating their two 'Wizard' downloads, so I obtained an earlier copy of the programmes via UBCD. My particular drive was not listed, so I used 'other' on the programme. This seemed to provide a maximum of 130gb for a 160gb hard-drive, so I had lost 30gb using Seagate's older programme wizard version!.

Cutting a long story short, I used a programme called Hieren, which as a analysing and repair facility. Played around with that programme a little and managed to get the H/D back to its original unformatted condition. Re-installed Windows, and everything as turned out fine, the computer is now back in business.

My thanks to everyone that as contributed to the thread, your input as been very warmly welcomed and appreciated.

Ticked as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…