problem installing xp Home

jr@south-fork 23:14 18 Feb 08

Can anyone come up with a good reason why all of a sudden when I try to install my 100% genuine XP home CD as a clean install onto a formatted H/D so far through the installation of the " Files " seection I start to get messages saying "cant copy ( eg) shell32.dll" or clxdiag.exe or wmploc.dll ?? and a following message saying that the file it is trying to copy is not a genuine windows. This is even though the disc is 100% genuine and I have previously installed and activated with no problems ( The machine that this is being done on is another of my PC's in my Home network that is using the same operating system from the same CD

Totally-braindead 23:19 18 Feb 08

Only thing I can say is that you are only allowed to install one copy of windows per licence unless you have purchased multiple licences.

Assumming its not installed at all and therefore not connected to the network or the internet I have no idea why it should refuse to install. Unless the windows disk is a windows disk for a particular computer.

MAT ALAN 23:21 18 Feb 08

Couple of things to try...

clean or use another optical device

or Clean the disc....

Eargasm 23:23 18 Feb 08

Download and run Killdisk before installing XP it should sort it.
click here

lotvic 23:25 18 Feb 08

But, obviously a different product key of course?

I would disconnect the pc from the network first (if wired)

It is best to do the format of HDD during/from the CD installation, is that how you did it?

Also check jumper on HDD is set to Master

and make sure the CD is 'clean' (dirt/dust etc)

mrwoowoo 23:29 18 Feb 08

Sounds like your problem is either the disk or the cdrom reading it, or the combination.
When you get those install error messages and it isn't the install media or the cdrom, it's some other hardware issue such as memory or cpu.
One point though.
If you are using the same operating system from the same CD on other pc's on your netwok/home then that makes it non genuine in the eyes of microsoft doesn't it?
You can only use one operating system product key for one pc.

jr@south-fork 00:04 19 Feb 08

As far as I know I am quite entitled to install my own purchased copy of XP Home onto my own Computer/s for my own personal use, and if I upgrade my PC with new motherboards etc and hard disc, I am quite entitled to re-install XP home as required. My network is purely two computers linked through a router and KVM switch, wherby one is kept solely for my photographs .
The one I am updating at present is not linked to anything after upgrading and having the operating system installed.
I have tried installing through the other CD rom drive and have actually purchased another copy of XP home and am getting the same problems. Even though it says some files have not been added it still goes through and installs XP but is very unstable when set up on the internet and upgrades attempted

Totally-braindead 00:11 19 Feb 08

You are not entitled to put one copy of XP on 2 computers unless you buy another license I am afraid. But since you have bought another legal copy of XP its mute.

When you say it installs does it install despite the error messages or does it seem to install ok and then you get error messages? If its the former then I would try something like Killdisk on the hard drive and try again, if its the latter then can I ask if you installed the motherboard drivers after you installed windows?

jr@south-fork 16:40 19 Feb 08

Hi " Totally-braindead" ( I feel quite bad calling you that LOL ) The answer to your question is 'Yes I installed the motherboard drivers after I had installed windows'.
Without sounding too much of an idiot (old age and senility prevailing) but how could I install the drivers 'BEFORE' installing windows XP ? when there isnt a platform there to install them too ?
regards Jim

Totally-braindead 16:59 19 Feb 08

What I mean is. Some people install windows and then install their graphics cards and printers, routers etc but don't install the motherboard drivers first. Now if you use windows default drivers it will work to a certain degree but may not work properly, the motherboard drivers are the correct ones for your PC not the ones windows installs. If you rely on the windows drivers then you might find things going pear shaped.

You must install the motherboard drivers imediately after you install XP before you install anything else.

Thats what I meant.

jr@south-fork 17:51 19 Feb 08

I follow you now Totally-braindead, As I said with old age and senility creeping on me and the advent of steam power still taking preference over this modern technolgy in many cases, my own brain is more likened to your nickname .
I just cant quite work out why I am getting the same problems installing XP even after fitting a brand new Hard Disc and then again after using a brand new XP CD. I will persevere or tear the rest of what litt;e hair I have left out
regards JR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced