Problem installing XP - files from SP2 needed

mhov 23:36 29 Jun 07

I am trying to instal xp but the process stalls when I get a message telling me that files from the SP2 disk are required. Inserting the SP2 CD in the drive and clicking OK has no effect. The Windows knowledge base suggests a workaround where the instalation is an upgrade but not where (as here) it is a clean instalation. In any event I cannot (as the KB suggests) run regedit.exe as I get the message "the system cannot execute the specified programme". Help!

tobyb121 23:56 29 Jun 07

Are you inserting the sp2 disk into the primary drive, and is this the same drive as you put the first disk into.

tobyb121 23:57 29 Jun 07

Also are you installing through a different os, or are you installing by booting from the disk.

lotvic 00:10 30 Jun 07

does this relate to your other thread click here I am thinking that you have not yet fully formatted the hard drive from boot up with the XP cd.

Input Overload 05:36 30 Jun 07

If you are doing a clean install via a non SP2 XP disc there is no way that your Pc would know about SP2. Are you sure you are doing a clean install.

mhov 17:54 30 Jun 07

Problem now solved. I had to resort to re-installing from the disc which came with the laptop when I bought it (which turned out to be an unlcensed copy) rather than from my legitimate copy of XP, and then download the new authorisation code from the Microsoft website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…