problem installing winxp

DMAN 15:05 12 Aug 05

When installing windows xp I get to the formatting stage and it begins to format then a message comes up reading:

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a scsi disk, make sure your scsi devices are properly terminated.

Appreciate any ideas to help solve this.

mattyc_92 15:07 12 Aug 05

This happened to me when i had two drives in my system and only got Windows Installer to format one.

If you have two drives, you will need to create another partition on the one, and that will allow you to format and install Windows.

DMAN 15:17 12 Aug 05

what do you mean two drives? There is only 1 hard drive.

ACOLYTE 15:24 12 Aug 05

Try deleting the partition then creat a new 1 and doing a quick ntfs format this should delete what ever was there before.

DMAN 15:28 12 Aug 05

I've tried that but it still gives the same message.

Grannyann 15:32 12 Aug 05

I had this as one of the sub-problems I experiencd when trying to install xp. Have you got a copy of Partition Magic with which to check that hard disk?

DMAN 15:35 12 Aug 05

no....don't have a copy of partition magic I'm afraid.

Grannyann 15:42 12 Aug 05

Have you by any chance just plugged in some more memory?

mattyc_92 15:42 12 Aug 05

I meant that IF (and I said IF) you have more than one hard-drive then you will need to craete a partition on them as well. But if you haven't, it doesn't apply to you (obviously).

Have you tried using "KillDisk" from click here There is a FREE version (which will do what you need) and a "profession" type one which you have to pay for.

ACOLYTE 15:47 12 Aug 05

Couldnt you do what you said after windows is installed from the disk managment window inside xp?,may be better than making 2 partitons.

ACOLYTE 15:49 12 Aug 05

lol sorry that was for matty_92,

DMAN,it may be thast the hard drive is damaged,have you checked all the cables are secure inside the pc,what OS did you have on the pc before?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…