Problem installing Windows 98 on an Olympia PC

hullguy28 11:17 21 Aug 03

I have been trying to install windows 98 on an old Olympia PC Intel Pentium 2 but when installing Windows it asks for disk 2 and a command 53mm.dll. I have searched the Microsoft webside for the dll code but with no success also the windows games and screen themes are blank. Can anyone help as this would be much appreciated or if anyone has a Olympia Rescue disk it would be very much appreciated if you could e-mail this as at the moment the PC is running very bad.

Thankyou. [email protected]

alcudia 11:51 21 Aug 03

Where are you installing from? Is this a clean installation from CD on a re-formated hard drive and boot disc, or are you reinstalling over the top of an existing installation using the cab files on your hard drive? If it is the latter it sounds like Windows does not know where they are. I think in '98 they were in C:\Windows\Options|Cabs. You will need to re-direct Windows to them if they have been moved.
If you are using a CD there is no reason at all why you should get this message. My ailing memory is however telling me that in '98 Windows used to create a "virtual drive" when using a boot disc and that the CD drive temporarily moves down one letter ie drive D becomes drive E and this is where you should install from using a CD. Perhaps someone else could confirm this.

xania 14:06 21 Aug 03

As a current '98SE user, I can confirm what alcudia says. Don't know anything about 53mm.dll abd a Google search brings up nothing. Sounds to me like something v.old still lingering on your HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…