Problem installing Win XP on new HDD

GBL 12:13 01 Apr 07

My existing HDD is in need of a complete format to get rid of alot of rubbish, so I thought that I would treat myself to a new HDD, I have installed a WD Caviar SE 80gb U100 8mb. Next I thought I would disable the existing drive and install Win XP pro onto the new one, when all up and running my idea is to transfer files that I need over to the new drive then format the old one and use it for extra storage.

But I have been going round in circles for several hours now. The new drive is the master and the old one disabled by removing the cables, it takes ages to get going but I have got as far as "Installing windows" then the system will reboot and it goes through the same procedures again. I cannot get past that stage. Never had this before and am stuck now. Thankfully i still have my old drive intact, with the new drive as the slave I can see all the installation files seem to be there.

Any ideas please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:27 01 Apr 07

Make sure you take the CD out of the drive when it reboots.

GBL 12:31 01 Apr 07

But it has not fully installed windows, just the first batch of files, it has not got as far as the stage which counts down for about thirty minutes or so, so I thought the CD had to stay in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced