Problem installing Win 2000 on a SATA drive

Neophyle 18:20 11 Jan 07

hello all.

i am trying to install a brand new seagate SATA drive onto a SATA enabled GigaByte board.

all connections are fine and i can hear the drive power up. there are no IDE drives. when going through POST screens, the drive is picked up as the primary device.

the problem comes when trying to press F6 to install the SATA drivers. the keyboard (USB) becomes inoperable.

I know F6 works as it works in the BIOS but when doing so there are no lights on the keyboard unless they are toggled on but when the Win 2000 startup initiates, all the lights on the keyboard come on and i cannot press F6.

Any one elase come accross this, is there somethingi need to do first... it cant be the keyboard as it works in the BIOS?

thanks in advance.

wotbus@ 19:51 11 Jan 07

Not too sure what you mean/are trying to do. Have you just taken your old drive out - installed the new - and trying to power it up?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:14 11 Jan 07

Before tryig to install raid drivers at the F6 prompt
ignore it and see if the win2k CD sees you hard drive and will install as per a normal IDE drive.
This may happen if SATA drivers are built into the BIOS of the motherboard.

If win 2k cannot see the drive then you will need to "borrow a PS2 keyboard to install drivers at the F6 prompt and to complete the 2k install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5