Problem Installing Update file...

Simsy 16:11 12 Jul 06

Folks,

I turned on this morning and forund there were updates available...

(I have the machine set to advise me and I'll choose what/when to install).

I click the Express "High Priority" updates, and choose to install all but the one for Outlook, (as I don't have it installed).

The updates downloaded OK, but one of them wont install. I've made several attempts, to no avail, and there is nothing so far on the MS site, (as far as I can tell!).

It's the following update;

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB917283)

Each time I try to install it fails, and I can determine that the error code is 0x643

I can't find what this code means. I'm wondering if I have a corrupt downloaded file. Each time I try to install it says the file is already downloaded, so doesn't download it afresh...

I'd welcome any suggestions, but specifically, where is the download held until it's installed? (It's not in Windows/Temp). If I can delete it perhaps a fresh download will resolve it.

Thanks in anticipation,

regards,

Simsy

Jackcoms 16:33 12 Jul 06
  Simsy 16:41 12 Jul 06

I'm not alone then!

Regards,

Simsy

chub_tor 17:38 12 Jul 06

So does anyone know where the downloaded file is residing so that it can be deleted and re-downloaded?

Jackcoms 19:21 12 Jul 06

I wouldn't waste your time. I tried that and failed.

In the end I did a system restore to a time before I downloaded all of yesterday's patches - which removed ALL of them.

I them went back to the Windows Update site and downloaded/installed them all again EXCEPT for the offending KB917283. I've permanently 'hidden' that update until such time as MS work out why so many people are unable to install it

Simsy 19:44 12 Jul 06

because I did a restore to yesterday, before I'd downloaded them, and when I went to the download site, intending to do as you had, I wqas told that the offending download was already downloaded, waiting to be installed... i.e. the system restore hadn't "deleted" the update file!

As a matter of interest, did you find out where the download file is stored?

Regards,

Simsy

Jackcoms 20:07 12 Jul 06

No, I never actually tracked it down.

However, you might want to look in C:\Windows and wade your way through all the Hotfix Uninstallers.

You may find the uninstaller for KB917283 and use that to get rid of it - or do a Search for KB917283.

Simsy 20:20 12 Jul 06

No Joy.

Regards,

Simsy

terryf 00:48 13 Jul 06

Please see new theread with fix

terryf 00:55 13 Jul 06

Sorry should see thread 'Fix for KB917283'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…