Problem installing Pen drive

harris99 17:53 28 Sep 04

I am using Windows ME. I have a 64MB Integral Pen Drive. The instructions say when inserted in a USB port then My Computer will show "Removable Pen Drive" I get nothing! There is a USB Flash Driver Installation Disc but the instructions say this is for Windows 98. In any case The instructions say this should BEFORE inserting the Pen and I have already done so. Any ideas?

Stuartli 18:01 28 Sep 04

From the introduction of ME, if I remember correctly, pen drives, card readers and similar don't require drivers.

Using XP Pro, when I connect my digital camera via a USB hub, I get an R drive listed in My Computer (presumably Removeable) and with a 7-in-1 card reader there are four "drive" letters, F through to I (following on from my rewriter's E).

Your thread posting isn't very clear as to whether you have or haven't installed a driver (which would only be for, say, Windows 98 or 98SE).

harris99 18:11 28 Sep 04

No,I haven't installed a driver because the instructions say it is not necessary with Windows ME. But when I insert the Pen in a USB Port nothing happens. Am I missing something?

VoG II 18:14 28 Sep 04

Does it show up in My Computer?

harris99 18:30 28 Sep 04

No. Nothing apart usual Floppy drive. Local Disc (C) etc

Rayuk 18:56 28 Sep 04

Have you had anything working on the usb port before.
I ask as if you havnt maybe its not enabled in the bios.

alB 18:59 28 Sep 04

If you are connecting the pen drive through a USB hub, try going directly into a USB port, also try a reboot with the pen drive connected...alB

fsbb 19:04 28 Sep 04

Win ME should auto detect and assign windows drivers to the pen drive as soon as it is plugged into USB + allocate a drive letter in My Computer.

Pen drive should have an indicator light which lights when plugged into USB - shows that the USB is powering the drive. If it doesn't light then the USB socket or the pen drive is faulty. Have you tested the USB port with a device you know is ok?

harris99 14:17 30 Sep 04

Thanks guys. Have no joy. Integral's Technical Help have sent me some files to download and instal manually in various folders,some of which I think are too dangerous for a beginner like me to meddle with. Am giving up and requesting a different Pen drive that WILL work in Me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…