Problem installing older printer

Trikie 16:06 27 Jun 08

I have been using an Epson Stylus 890 for bulk printing of B/W documents and it has finally expired. Having a number of ink cartridges left I bought an 870 from e-bay but am having trouble installing it.

I have downloaded a driver and the PC recognises the printer However although a document appears on the print list it won't print.

Following the instructions in the Epson help pages I have identified the port as lpt1. I noticed that lpt3 which is empty is shown as a serial port. The printer is connected to the PC by a long thin multi connector plug - is this a serial connector and if so should the printer be using lpt3 and if so how do I change it?

The next step in the Help page is to use a command prompt to see if the printer will feed through a blank sheet of paper. Instuction to do this is select Accessories>Command Prompt. However there is no Command Prompt sub menu under Accessories - presumably there is some other way to get to it?

I'm using XP Home.

PO79 16:23 27 Jun 08

Start\Run type cmd

Trikie 17:15 27 Jun 08

Thanks PO79. Followed the Troubleshoot instructions re this and a lot of other steps but still no joy.

Woolwell 17:19 27 Jun 08

You appear to be connecting the 870 by a parallel port cable - lpt1. You may find that this printer will be happier connecting by USB. What is your operating system?

Woolwell 17:21 27 Jun 08

Sorry missed XP Home. Rest of my post stands.

Quiet Life 17:47 27 Jun 08

If under Printer and Faxes your 870 shows as
ESC/P2 it is using the generic driver from XP.
This gives reduced functionality compared with the full Epson driver. I have the Photo 870 on ESC/P2 using USB and the papersize options and utilities are much reduced from a Photo 750 running on the Epson software. I have had no trouble with either printer on USB.

Trikie 19:08 27 Jun 08

Thanks Woolwell. I just used the cable that came with the printer and didn't notice that it also had a usb socket as well.

I've now swapped to this using the cable from the u/s 890 but still can't get a test print.

Do I need to reinstall it to get it to recognise the usb?

Woolwell 19:18 27 Jun 08

Uninstalling and reinstalling will not do any harm and may cure your problems. With most Epson's you have to install the software first and wait for the prompt to connect the printer (but you probably know that).

woodchip 20:03 27 Jun 08

The Printer connection you are using is a Parallel printer port. Serial port is shorter and looks like a VGA monitor socket for size

woodchip 20:04 27 Jun 08

Forgot to say that you may need to enable Parallel printer port in BIOS

Quiet Life 12:05 28 Jun 08

When you plug in the printer Windows should automatically come up with found new hardware and instal the 870 with the generic driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…