Problem installing Logitech Quickcam Messenger

LPB 22:56 08 Nov 05

We are having problems with two new Logitech Quickcam Messenger webcams (my brother-in-law has the second one). The problems with each are identical. The installation appears to go OK, software installs, PC restarted. But at "plug in camera" screen, hardware wizard says "cannot install this hardware", and "did not detect any connected camera device". Have tried a new installation, but same problem. Via Device Manager camera is marked with a yellow question mark. Via Properties - "Drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)". But I have watched the drivers going in during the installation process. Logitechs online support looks promising but seems to get into a loop - I cannot get a specific answer. We are both using Windows XP SP2.
Can anyone help, please?

porkyboy 14:27 14 Nov 05

I've got the same problem. If I find out an answer I'll get back to you;

Skyver 15:25 14 Nov 05

What happens if you delete the problem device from Device Manager and try again using Add New Hardware (without rebooting)? Also make sure you select View/Show Hidden Devices in Device Manager and check for any other conflicting hardware.

keewaa 15:27 14 Nov 05

If you go back to device manager and click on properties for it, drivers tab, reinstall drivers and locate them on the disc.

Hamish 15:39 14 Nov 05

I have the same webcam but have had it installed for some time but I think I also had problems until I uninstalled all the software that came with the CD and downloaded the software from logitech's web site
click here

Hope this helps

Diversion 15:40 14 Nov 05

I have a Logitech 4000 Pro. Mine installed ok but with a compatibility warning which I clicked on yes to continue the installation. But the camera freezers when broadcasting, and every time I restart windows I can hear a dull thud as windows closes down.

howard63 16:49 14 Nov 05

as Hamish says download the latest driver and save it to a folder and unzip it. Now go to add/remove progs and remove all traces of the original installation. Unplug the camera then install from the download and plug it in when requested.

Diversion 17:10 14 Nov 05

I have done what howard63 suggested and put my monitor up from 60HTZ to 85HTZ but I am still getting the dull thud on shutdown.

LPB 17:26 14 Nov 05

Thanks to everyone who responded to my problem.
Following the advice of Hamish and Howard3, I downloaded the latest software from Logitech and installed it. My webcam was recognised straight away. I haven#t tried to use it in cold blood yet, but at least I can see myself, and the microphone and speakers all work. Previously, when I used the Logitech update service I was told there were no new drivers! Now to see if the rest of it works!
Many tanks again.

Hamish 18:28 14 Nov 05

Pleased to be of some help. Please post back if it all works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…