Problem-Installing from CD

spuds 10:31 27 Jun 06

There must be a simple answer here, but I am at a loss trying to find it.

I have a disk that I have used and downloaded from on many occasions, without any problems. Today I made an attempt to use the program, but it would not respond, so I uninstalled it from the computer, using the program's own uninstaller. This program was not listed in Add/Remove. On completion,using own uninstaller, a message appeared stating that it was unable to clear all the contents from the computer and traces had been left behind.

On attempting to re-install via add/remove (XP Home) nothing happens. Attempting to install via D:|INSTALL XP states it cannot find it.

I have two drives, and when I change the disk from one drive to the other, the drive icon on the particular drive reverts to the program icon, but I am still unable to do anything.

This program as worked previously without fault. Any suggestions as to what I should do next, or as the disk become 'corrupted' in some way!.

Simple explanations and possible remedies, for a simple not thinking straight mind. Very much appreciated :O)

spuds 10:44 27 Jun 06

Should have mentioned, that the program as an autostart, but this doe,s not seem to activate.

vinnyT 10:48 27 Jun 06

Can you see the prog in the cd ie in windows explorer d:\prog\prog.exe? If you can, double click the .exe file, this should start the progs installer.

If you can't see anything, or the cd is not listed, then the disk may be dirty, or as you say corrupted.

Hope this helps.

spuds 11:23 27 Jun 06

vinnyT- Thanks for the response. Not sure whether I am getting this right, but checking d:\prog\prog.exe all I get is 'refers to a location that is unavailable'

Cd seems very clear and clean. But cleaned again earlier, to be sure. How could a 'fixed' manufactured shop bought programmed cd become corrupted?.

Shortstop 11:47 27 Jun 06

Spuds - not sure if you have tried this, but i would run Registry cleaner, reboot then try ......

vinnyT 12:02 27 Jun 06

What happens when you use explorer (or other file manager) to click on the cd icon, does it give a tree view of what is on it, are there any .exe files on there. Can you find the prog .exe file on there, if it gives you any error mssgs, then it looks like it may be corrupted.

Hope this helps.

PS I'm logging off now (work), hope someone else can help.

spuds 12:57 27 Jun 06

Shortstop--Did what you suggested,and found program in RegScrub. Cleaned, then did defrag (the computer needed it!). All back to normal, cd loads and works perfectly.

Thanks and appreciations extended to you both. Will tick as resolved.

vinnyT 15:39 01 Jul 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…