Problem with IE6 & new computer

dusters 10:16 12 Feb 07

I have just bought a new computer that has xp Home Media Centre Edition pre-installed (I have always used xp pro before and had very few problems). IE6 keeps closing down unexpectedly, especially when I am on this site, and I cannot download Picasa on line. I installed it form disc without a problem, but when I try to update it, I get an error message which says 'unable to validate'. Please can anyone help?

Technotiger 10:33 12 Feb 07

Hi, scroll through this list to see if yours is here ...

click here

dusters 10:58 12 Feb 07

Hi, thanks for the link, I will try the fixes. Could the 'unable to validate' problem with the Picasa update have anything to do with the fact that this is a 64 bit computer, although I thought it was running in 32 bit mode?

Technotiger 12:45 12 Feb 07

Not sure about the 64bit thing, but this link is to do with validation problem ..

click here

dusters 13:22 12 Feb 07

I had a look at this site but it all seems to be about WGA. I have updated Windows with no problem, and not just security fixes. The problem seems to be with downloading third party software. When I tried to download Picasa in the first place I kept getting messages along the lines of 'this is not a valid Winxp application'
The software on this computer seems to have been pre-registered (I think).

skidzy 16:24 12 Feb 07

Try a repair of IE6 click here

woodchip 16:27 12 Feb 07

In Folder Options\Control Panel. Set it to show all files. Then in search look for IE.inf right click on it then choose install do a Custom install of just the browser

dusters 18:17 13 Feb 07

I have tried to download what I thought was the correct fix for IE6 but it didn't complete. I seem to be having problems downloading anything at the moment. I will keep trying. As far as the Picasa downloads goes, I managed to download it onto my husband's computer, over the same internet connection, without any problems at all. I then sent the set up file to my computer and installed it OK. I suspect this means that some security settings on my computer are preventing me from downloading stuff. I just can't find out what.
Mean while, thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac