Problem with HP prrinter and XP..help please..than

bof:) 21:15 03 Dec 03

Hi All,

Just come back from brother-in-laws who is having a problem with his HP Deskjet 720 printer and Xp home.

Using Acer laptop.Printer connection via parallel port.

On his win98se system the printer works fine.

On XP system the picture printed is ok for the first quarter from the top of page and then you get black lines left to right at about a 2cm gaps for the rest of the page + the photo goes more out of focus as it goes down the page.

It is also an interment fault some photo's print ok.

This is what we have tried so far:

Uninstalled winXP drivers and rebooted PC after disconnecting printer....gone to HP web site and downloaded the XP version drivers for his printer. We were given the option to 'over ride' any drivers installed already on his pc...this we chose..downloaded and rebooted pc.

So now we have:

the printer not shown in 'Device manager'.

printer is shown in 'Printer and Faxes' in Control Panel.

In Printer...Options we have an empty space showing in the 'location' box.

As I'm new to XP I was unable to find the 'Conflicting harware/software option' as found in win98se system tools.

The printer was not shown in Device manager.

Device Manager showed no conflicts.

Any advice would be greatly recieved and acted upon asap because the brother-in-law uses his PC a lot for work and home (as do we all).

Many thanks,

Mike

JIM 22:26 03 Dec 03

Not to sure if you have poss, installed printer as instructed in the links.

Suggest you re-check. The "last link" is the important one,only posting others to show the order I followed.(hope they post)

HP Deskjet Printer - What to do if you need a parallel printer driver.

HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP

click here

click here;jsessionid=DWLABSDTQB103QEXGR3UOSQ?reg=na&cc=us&prodId=dj720c&lc=en&sw_lang=en&cat=software

click here=

click here;jsessionid=DWLABSDTQB103QEXGR3UOSQ?reg=na&cc=us&docName=bpd09005&lc=en

JIM 22:31 03 Dec 03

will have to paste info in two bits.

HP Deskjet Printers - Installing the Printer with the Driver Included in Microsoft(R) Windows XP

You reached this page by selecting a printer. This document appeared because this is the best solution for that printer in Microsoft(R) Windows XP. Click here for installation instructions for another printer. The instructions may or may not be the same.

The drivers for HP Deskjet printers are included in Windows XP. The following instructions are for installing the basic driver that is preloaded on Windows XP. There is no need to download a printer driver from the Web. This document describes how to load the appropriate printer driver that is pre-installed in your Windows XP operating system. The preinstalled Windows XP driver supports basic printing features.

This document only addresses the Windows XP operating system.

Step one: Check to see if the printer driver is already installed

To find out if printer is already installed, do the following:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.
Check to see if the name of your printer shows next to a printer icon.
If the printer is there, you are done. The best printer driver is already installed. Proceed to Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver.
If the printer is not there, proceed to Step two: Connect the cables.

Step two: Connect the cables

With the computer and printer on, connect the USB or parallel cable to the printer and the computer. One of two things could happen:

The driver automatically installs when the printer is connected to the computer. Several small dialogue boxes will appear showing the progress of the driver installation. When the installation is finished, a message displays stating that the printer is installed and ready to use. You are done. The best printer driver available for your printer is installed. Proceed to Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver.
If the Found New Hardware Wizard displays, click Cancel and proceed to Step three.

COMING SHORTLY:)

JIM 22:33 03 Dec 03

Step three: Manually install the printer driver
Click Start, then Control Panel.

Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then

click Printers and Faxes.

In Printer Tasks, click Add a printer. Click Next. Select Local, then remove the check mark from Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer.
Click Next. Select Port

Parallel connection is usually LPT1
USB connection is usually USB001
Click Next.

Select HP from the Manufacturer list.
Select the printer model from the printer list, and then click Next.
Select Yes if this printer is the default printer, or select No if it is not.

Click Next to continue.
Select No to skip the test page, and then click Next.

Click Finish to complete the installation.

NOTE: If prompted for a Windows disk in Step 12, do not use the disk that came with the printer, use the Windows XP disk or the recovery disk that came with the computer.

If prompted for a Windows disk, insert the appropriate Windows or PC Recovery disk (not the disk that came with the printer) and follow the instructions on the screen. Once the driver has been installed, it will be listed in the Printers window (Start, then Printers and Faxes).

Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver

Once you've installed the new HP driver, set it as the default printer.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

Right-click the HP Deskjet driver then select Set as Default Printer.

bof:) 00:07 04 Dec 03

Hi Jim,

As the printer works fine on win98se Desktop PC, and not on the XP laptop, we first deleted the currently installed driver on XP and then followed the 'Installing a driver manually' instructions on the HP website. This gave us the option to 'over-ride' any drivers currently installed on the PC. This we did.

Are you saying we failed to download the driver 1st and just tried to manually install it but it was not there to be installed?

If this was so, how come the printer will print some photo's/ text documents sometimes but not others?

Also how come the printer is shown in the Control Panel under 'Printer and faxes' but not in the device manager?

Mike

bof:) 00:24 04 Dec 03

bump

JIM 05:56 04 Dec 03

(but printer not in the device manager)

when in device manager,Have you clicked on the "view tab" at the top,to show all hidden devices,for the printer ?

Do you have the option to use a USB connection?

JIM 07:59 04 Dec 03

From the 3rd link i posted previously, you see the following. May!! be worth trying the highlighted area,

"click here to have hp automatically check to see if you need an update"

(could be the same driver they would install as shown in linkand you already have? which is,

(Microsoft Windows XP Hp deskjet printer driver information date!! 2001-10-09 ver 1)

If thats the one you downloaded, it is faily old and the "printer" originally was not for Winxp.

You may try checking in the system bios to verify that the parallel ports are set to ecp/epp and then set the settings for the ports within Windows with ecp/epp.But that may not be the case or solve your problem.

I believe it is a driver problem alright,but
personaly,i would try to get the system back to the state it was before the download and work with the limitaions of the WinXP Driver that would have been supplied with WinXP disk.

Microsoft Windows XP Hp deskjet printer driver information date!! 2001-10-09 ver 1

bof:) 15:53 04 Dec 03

Hi Jim,

there is no usb connection to the printer.

I will as you suggest go back to the original driver supplied with XP and start again.

As I chose the option to 'overwrite' this driver when I downloaded the latest driver from the HP website, I suppose I'll have to reinstall the original driver from the cd disk that came with the laptop.

many thanks for your advice its very much appreciated..

Mike

JIM 19:36 04 Dec 03

anything to change what you have done so far,you could try Printer and Faxes in Control Panel. Click on add printer on the LEFT, Printer tasks and see if the Add printer wizard can configure what you have downloaded.

you have systems restore to rely on,since your driver install.

bof:) 23:22 06 Dec 03

many thanks for that Jim. As a win98se user I keep forgetting about System Restore.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…