Problem Hard drive

Madpad_001 07:31 23 Sep 06

Hi, I am tring to recover some infromation off an old laptop hard drive. (The lap is broke beyond repair, will not boot up) I have a caddie to make it into a external drive, but when I plug it in I can see 90% of the information expect my documents folder, it comes up with access denied and also says the folder is empty but I know I have loads of information in there.

SO does anyone have any idea how to recover the information my self or will I have to send the drive away?

Many thaks in advance Madpad_001

jack 08:06 23 Sep 06

It seems that in its former life you had some form of security on 'My Doc's'

If the drive is intact, would it not be possible to install it as the boot drive on the machine you are reading it from and do your transfers that way?
Suggestion
Simply disconnect the the Drive from the machine you are using and connected the rescued drive - If it fires up and via it you can access the doc - burn them to CD.

Madpad_001 08:32 23 Sep 06

will give that ago

Madpad_001 17:36 25 Sep 06

Tried swaping the drives but still no joy any more ideas??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 25 Sep 06

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

Ray5776 21:40 25 Sep 06

You could try thisclick here
wnload-21518.html
unlocker 1.8.5 free download

Ray5776 21:43 25 Sep 06

I meant this, bad posting of linkclick here
unlocker 1.8.5 free download

Madpad_001 09:04 26 Sep 06

will try and get back to you

Madpad_001 11:48 26 Sep 06

Thanks a bunch it worked a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5