Problem with Google Earth update

john bunyan 18:06 PM 12 Nov 12

I have W7 Ultimate, IE 9. I had a prompt via my "action centre" to update Google Earth. I downloaded it to my downloads file, but when I ran it it ended up with a "programme not responding" message. I then Uninstalled the programme, downloaded again to ensure the latest programme. Twice the installation seemed to go ok but in the end "Hung" with a small box that said " Loading myplaces kml, including enabled overlays" Eventually a "programme not responding" message appeared. The same thing happens each time I try to launch it . I use Avira Anti virus.I did restart the PC.Any views?

john bunyan 19:10 PM 12 Nov 12

Could not solve it. Used System restore which got me the old working version back.

Woolwell 20:07 PM 12 Nov 12

I've only had W7 for about 10 months but I haven't had a Google Earth prompt in action centre. However following your post I had a go at updating Google Earth. At first it told me that it could not contact the server (linked to your problem?). I then downloaded the latest version 7 (I was still on 6) and it updated.

john bunyan 21:12 PM 12 Nov 12

Woolwell

Thanks for input. My version is 6.2.2.6613 The new one failed. I woll try again sometime.

john bunyan 21:53 PM 12 Nov 12

Weirdly, it installed ok on my wife's laptop, also on W7. I let Chrome install whereas I declined it on the desktop. Will try again one day.

john bunyan 21:53 PM 12 Nov 12

Weirdly, it installed ok on my wife's laptop, also on W7. I let Chrome install whereas I declined it on the desktop. Will try again one day.

john bunyan 20:50 PM 16 Nov 12

I give up on my desktop. I have tried uninstalling, and when the new programme launches, it stops responding as in my opening post. I manage to get the old version back using system restore. Tried all the Googled recommendations such as deleting files in the low roaming folders. It installed well on my laptop. I use Avira on both. Tried disabling it on installation. I cannot waste more time on it.

Woolwell 21:06 PM 16 Nov 12

Google Maps does much of what Google Earth does.

sunnystaines 09:13 AM 18 Nov 12

latestest google earth working fine on w7 but crashes the xp laptop had to uninstall it from xp.

john bunyan 16:18 PM 25 Nov 12

In the end my problem was solved. I updated my MVidia 7800GTX video card with latest W7 /8 drivers and downloaded and installed Googleearth win-bundle-7.0.1.8244 and all was well.

john bunyan 16:19 PM 25 Nov 12

Still cannot green tick..

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…