Problem getting on line

tardis100 09:58 28 Mar 08

My sister is having problems getting on line. She has both Firefox and IE7 - but both are responding the same way - that is, she clicks to get on line the Home Page loads and then within the next 10-20 seconds or so, up comes the message "Firefox has experienced a problem and needs to close" - and the same message with IE7. She has tried a restore point but that hasn't helped. Does anyone have clues as to what is happening? Ben.

birdface 10:26 28 Mar 08

Try Control Panel.Network Connections.Right click local area connection and press repair.See if that shows any problems.Make sure all the air vents are clear of dust and fluff.if so inside computer will also need cleaning.

tardis100 20:32 28 Mar 08

thanks Buteman - first off I should have said my sister has a Laptop - but did as you suggested and first off got the message that the "following action could not be completed, clearing the DNS cache." I did a bit of Googling and found out how to get round that - CP - Admin Tools - Services and make sure the DNS client was set to auto and started. Well it wasn't - so set that correctly and really thought I had it fixed - I then followed your suggestion again and this time the DNS cache did clear - but I still can't get on line - still get the message "Firefox has experienced a problem and has to close." Can anyone help? Ben

sinbads 20:45 28 Mar 08

Common fault with ie ....select tools/internet options/advanced/then reset you will loose all addons seems the problem lies with some addons

tardis100 22:39 28 Mar 08

Eureka! Thanks Sinbads I'm almost there. Managed to get to IE Tools Advanced etc and Reset (had to go there via Safe Mode - IE wouldn't let me access the Tools menu before it was telling me it had to close) but now it seems I can get on line with IE - but still not with Firefox and I cannot find how to Reset within Firefox and I think that is my sisters browser of choice - so - can anyone tell me how to Reset Firefox - if not then I'll just uninstall for the moment and then download it again. Thanks for the help so far. Ben

woodchip 22:45 28 Mar 08

You can get to IE settings through Control Panel\Internet Options

sinbads 22:47 28 Mar 08

sorry not sure about firefox perhaps someone will help you with that one..... not a big deal to reinstall

tardis100 22:58 28 Mar 08

Thanks for all the help IE is fine now so I'll uninstall Firefox and start again with that. Much appreciate all help received - I've even got a few more brownie points from my sister!! Ben.

birdface 10:18 29 Mar 08

Try.Command prompt.And type in ipconfig /flushdns make sure that there is a space between ipconfig and the forward slash.Reboot the laptop and see if it works any better.I should have added it should give you a message that DNS cache has been cleared.

birdface 10:24 29 Mar 08

Sorry just noticed that you got DNS cache cleared.Sorry I cant help you with Firefox have you got it updated.I think there was an update for it last week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…