Problem Getting an Internet Connection to Router

Jennifer859 22:59 04 May 06

I recently had problems with lightning which resulted in me having to have a new cable modem and ethernet card for my PC. After both of these were replaced, I can no longer get a internet connection through my router. If the cable is just hooked up to the PC, it works fine. But if I hook it up to my router, I don't have a connection. I have replaced the router and am still having this problem. The modem cable modem is working properly, and all my connections to the router are correct. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks!

mgmcc 23:51 04 May 06

The important thing when swapping over the Cable Modem connection from PC to Router is that the Cable Modem *MUST* be powered off and left without power for two or three minutes. This is so that it "releases" the association between the existing connection and the IP address it has allocated. It will then recognise a new device has been connected and it will allocate a new IP address.

Power on the modem and wait for it to be fully booted and online. Power on the router and wait until it is fully up and running. Then boot the PC.

ade.h 23:54 04 May 06

Firstly, I must ask; weren't you using a surge protector for your router's power brick and modem cable? Bad idea, as you have found. Storms can create surges in the phone lines and if one of these hits a router.... They are very sensitive to such damage.

Secondly, on to your question; we need a lot more info before we can advise further. Make and exact model of router - operating system - LAN adapters (including whether they are controlled by 3rd-party software, run only with a driver, or inbuilt into the PC). We'll also need to know what client firewall you're using, as it may simply be blocking internet access through the LAN adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced