Problem With Games

superhoops 18:08 14 Jun 06

I have suddenly started getting error messages when attempting to play Half Life 2, Soldier of Fortune Gold Edition and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. All three bring up an error message saying they have encountered an error and need to close, sorry for the inconvenience. I presume there is some connection between all 3 suddenly refusing to start up. Any ideas? Thanks

Starfox 18:27 14 Jun 06

Computer spec's please and have you changed anything recently?

superhoops 19:17 14 Jun 06

Thnaks for the response. P4 2ghz. 512mb ram Radion 9000 graphics. No havent changed anything and these games played fine up to now.

Starfox 19:32 14 Jun 06

Is it possible for you to do a system restore to a point before the problem started, the first thing I try when troubles like this arise?

superhoops 19:33 14 Jun 06

Tried that...no good!!!!

superhoops 23:14 14 Jun 06

I forgot to say in my original posting that I am now getting the same error message when trying to start up Google Earth.

Totally-braindead 23:43 14 Jun 06

Goto start run and type DXDIAG and see if that comes up with anything. Also perhaps try reinstalling DirectX, and reinstall the graphics card drivers.

The next time it does this could you look in the information it error gathered, it should have more info and that would enable us to narrow it down a bit.

Jaro 23:46 14 Jun 06

can you tell us whole error message im sure its not all it must have started with something like windows explorer encountered an error and need to close, sorry for the inconvenience or what ever it is can you write whole error message ?

Jaro 23:49 14 Jun 06

you can try this

go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

read about this here click here very good utility

do not forget do the system restore point before you do anythink

brundle 23:57 14 Jun 06

latest dx9 click here

superhoops 06:56 15 Jun 06

Thnaks to everyone for your replies. very much appreciated. Going away now for a couple of days on a work trip but will try your suggestions when I get back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…