problem formatting slave hard D

davro 11:17 03 Jan 04

i have just fitted a 120gb maxator hard/d and set my old 40gb as slave after formatting and partioning i loaded XP then connected my old drive and copied some files over, now i tried to format my old drive but windows cannot format disc ,quit any disc utilaties or other programs that may be using drive can anyone tell me how can i find what is using drive[which now is drive H]? is there an easy way just to format this drive, or have i done somthing wrong in the way ive fitted tthese drives? anyone help Thanks DMR.

LastChip 11:24 03 Jan 04

Where have you loaded XP?

Rayuk 11:32 03 Jan 04

How are you trying to format the drive?
via My Computer and right clicking drive or Disk Management

LastChip 12:19 03 Jan 04

"after formatting and partioning new H/D i installed X.P. on this, but it was already on my old drive as well have i caused a problem here any ideas?"

I don't believe you should have caused a problem at all, however, going back to your original post, it appears that something may be accessing your "H" drive.

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete (once only) and select Task Manager to see what's running. You may recognise something from "H". If you do, highlight it and End Task and then see if you can format your drive.

Please keep replies to the thread so others may be able to join in and help you.

Indigo 1 12:41 03 Jan 04

I had the same problem. I think it's to do with windows "prefetching" the contents of the drive.

Click on start menu, right click on the coloured band at the top, select properties click advanced, scroll down to "My Computer" icon then select "display as a link".

The next time you go to start menu you will see My Computer icon has a link, move cusor to select the drive you want to format then right click it and you will get the format options that way without viewing the contents or the drive.

Hope this helps

Rayuk 14:26 03 Jan 04

Do it through disk management
Start Run type in
diskmgmt.msc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…