Problem with Firefox and error message

playmofire 01 Sep 11

In the last few days, when ever I open Firefox before it will open the message "EXC in ev handl:TypeError: this.oroot.enable is not a function" appears in a pop-up which has to be closed before Firefox will open. The same happens when I click to enlarge the photo of an item for sale on eBay. Does anyone else have this problem which appears to have started after a Java update.

buteman 01 Sep 11

Try updating it to the latest version.6.0.1

maybe that is what it is trying to do without success.

buteman 01 Sep 11

If you have McAfee site advisor in add ons disable it and see if it works.

Looks like a possible problem with McAfee but if you do not use it it is obviously not that.

playmofire 01 Sep 11

Thanks, Buteman, for the replies.

On the pop-up top left it has [Javascript application] which is what makes me think it's Javascript. Disabling McAfee site advisor makes no difference.

I take it you meant upgrade Javascript to 6.0.1, but looking at Add-ons in Firefox it seems to be at 6.0.26, which presumably is a more recent update than 6.0.1, or is it? Various versions of 6.0.1 are there, e.g. 6.0.10, 6.0.15, 6.0.17.

It was after a number of recent Java updates that the problem appeared.

buteman 01 Sep 11

Nope mine just updated yesterday 31st august and it says 6.0.1

Did you restart firefox after you disabled Site advisor.

buteman 01 Sep 11

I meant update Firefox not Java. My version for that is version 7.0 so maybe remove all old versions of Java and install the latest version.

playmofire 01 Sep 11

I've just checked for updates of Firefox and the answer was that I'm running the latest version.

No, I didn't restart Firefox after disabling SiteAdvisor as the system didn't tell me to.

Checking on Firefox forum shows this problem has been about for some time.

playmofire 01 Sep 11

However, clicking on About Firefox, it says I'm using 3.6.21!

buteman 01 Sep 11

Firefox is now Version 6.0.1 so not sure why it would not update unless of course you are happy using the 3.6.2 version.

sheraz.civnom 02 Sep 11

Just uninstall your current firefoxx, restart your computer and reinstall the latest version from mozilla.

sheraz.civnom www.civnomtechnologies.com

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message