Problem finding driver to resolve 16 colour issue

dogsbody 06:58 01 Nov 03

I have just installed Windows ME and I am stuck in 16 colour display.

I have run SiSoft Sandra and know that the mobo is a Micro-Star BIOS ID 61-0504-001169-00111111-071595-440BX. The information on the video adapter states Model: Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) Hardware Revision: 003 but no manufacturer.

Anybody know where I can go to download a driver to increase colour? I have tried Windows Update and the mobo manufacturer website without success.

Jungle 07:40 01 Nov 03

I dont know how old the PC is, and you havent stated what graphics card you have or whether its an in built version on the motherboard. ?

If its an Nvidia set up, then go to there website and download the latest video drivers, along with the latest Direct X version and this should resolve your problem.

If its an ATI version then go to there website.

If you dont know , download the following program ( AIDA 32 ) similar to SI Sandra and this will tell you what video display card you have.Just run the program then click through until you see video display.

click here

Gongoozler 08:15 01 Nov 03

"Standard PCI Graphics Adapter" is telling you that you don't have the drivers installed for your graphics card, so as Jungle says, you really need to find what graphics card you have and get the drivers for it. Hopefully AIDA 32 or Belarc Advisor can find it. If they can't, you can try to get "Add new hardware" to detect the card for you. If none of these works it will need a bit of detective work to find what it is. Firstly though, do you know if the graphics is integrated into the motherboard. You can check this without opening the case. Have a look at where the monitor cable is plugged in at the back of the PC. If it is in one of the expansion slots then you have a separate graphics card. If it is near to and aligned with the port connectors, then it is integrated into the motherboard.

dogsbody 08:20 01 Nov 03

Thanks guys.

The system is not mine and is old - circa 1998. I will have to go and have another look at it and use your input to dig a bit deeper.

Gongoozler 08:39 01 Nov 03

My guess is that the motherboard is the MSI MS-6119 click here

keith-236785 08:54 01 Nov 03

Gongoozler is right, your board is the 6119. however what you need to know is if it onboard graphics or a seperate graphic card?

if it is onboard then the motherboard driver disks should have the drivers required for the graphics. if it is a seperate card then you will need to find the manufacturer and model so you can download new drivers. as already said Aida32 might help, but if not.....

remove the graphic card and look for a FCC ID:

followed by some letters/numbers

e.g FCC ID: FTUPCI7322M.

click here and follow the instructions, that should tell you the manufacturer/ model of your graphic card.

Aida32 is easier though.

DieSse 15:21 01 Nov 03

BX motherboards never (at least in my experience) have on-board graphics.

You can often spot the graphics card type by waching the very top line of the test screen right at the start of booting. You may have to do it several times to catch it.

Or as paperman27 says - take it out and have a look.

DieSse 15:22 01 Nov 03

PS AIDA32 is much better at finding out this sort of info than Belarc or Sisoft.

dogsbody 20:28 02 Nov 03

Thanks to all who replied. I ran AIDA, located the graphics card and have downloaded the drivers. The problem is now resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…