Problem File Sharing on Wireless Network (Me + XP)

Nick052 18:20 15 Mar 06

Hi,

I have successfully set up a wireless network which allows me to share an internet connection from a Windows ME machine to a Windows XP machine.

I now want to be able to go on the XP machine and view/copy files that on the Windows ME hard drive, but am having some problems.

I have followed the home networking wizard (and also gone through File and Print sharing on the network properties) on the ME machine to set this up, and have set the C: drive to be shared (with no password).

If I then go on the XP machine and look at "mshome" via My Network Places, I can successfully see the ME computer.

However, when i double click on it, it says that it is not possible to connect, and that I may not have permission and need to contact the network administrator.

I'm guessing this is something to do with Windows ME being less-than-efficient at this kind of this, but I have tried everything to make it share files with the XP machine.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

mgmcc 20:28 15 Mar 06

In the Windows ME PC, open the Network Properties (right click "My Network Places" and select Properties). Ensure that you have both of these installed:

- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Click the "File & Printer Sharing" button and check that one or both boxes are ticked as appropriate.

I would suggest you set at least one Folder as "shared", rather than the root of "C" drive. Have you configured any firewall software in the ME PC to allow access to the other PC?

Also, it has been known to help if you use a Workgroup with a name of your own, instead of the Windows' default name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…