Problem with Fax component in Windows XP Home

Connaught 12:50 03 Sep 04

PC Advisor

I have recently installed the WinXP fax facility on both my laptop and Desktop. I used to use Superfax when I had Win 98 OS

My laptop seems to work fine and you follow the dial up etc on the fax monitor. When the fax ‘printer’ is selected on my Desktop however and you follow the process to ‘send’, clicking on the latter does not cause the fax monitor to appear. You cannot hear the modem working although it is fine for my internet dial up. The respective page indicates that faxes have been sent but they have not. I would be very grateful to know how to ensure that the exercise is completed on my desktop.

There is no shortage of capacity on my desktop.

Many thanks

Connaught

TOPCAT® 13:02 03 Sep 04

Here's a troubleshooter page from Microsoft KB on common fax problems with Win XP. Good luck! TC.

click here;en-us;321639&Product=winxp

TOPCAT® 13:06 03 Sep 04

This should work!! click here

Connaught 21:29 05 Sep 04

Thank you Topcat. I had tried the site and even downloaded the recommended XP upgrade for my Conexant HCF PCI modem.

I tried to install it but every time it registered failure. I had removed the current device etc and started from scratch. Its hopeless and I do not know what the solution is. It seems so protracted to try to make 'human' contact with either Conexant or M/Soft.

Regards Connaught

Stuartli 10:30 06 Sep 04

If you go to click here and look up Conexant (also now owns Rockwell if I remember rightly), find your modem and chipset and download the latest driver, you should hopefully cure your problems.

Stuartli 10:32 06 Sep 04

Install the driver first and then reboot to allow Windows to Add New Hardware.

Make sure that you select the UK as your country - it's a common error to leave it on the default, which is more often than not the USA.

Stuartli 10:37 06 Sep 04

When you installed the fax facility on your systems did you do it from Add/Remove Components?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…