Problem with Excel links

sav 22:45 21 Aug 03

I have a number of Excel spreadsheets saved as separate files and I wish to link them to a single summary sheet. Linking them isn't a problem, however I would like to be able to 'switch off' the links to particular
files so that I could select which files were included on the summary sheet at any one time.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

pj123 22:54 21 Aug 03

I also have several excel sheets linked to a summary, but I haven't had occasion to "switch off" any of them. Let me work on it and I will post back to you. May take a bit of time.

Macaonasa 23:25 21 Aug 03

Have you tried Edit/Links?

jazzypop 23:37 21 Aug 03

"Update only some of the links to other workbooks

Close all workbooks.

Open the workbook that contains the links.

When asked whether to update links, click Don't Update.

On the Edit menu, click Links.

In the Source list, click the linked object you want to update.

To select multiple linked objects, hold down CTRL and click each linked object.

To select all linked objects, press CTRL+A."

From the Excel Help file

sav 10:05 22 Aug 03

Thanks to everyone for your response so far. I will give your suggestions a go.

pj123 17:26 22 Aug 03

I think I might have got this wrong Guys. My "links" to the summary are all formulae. Is that different from a link?

sav 20:18 22 Aug 03

pj123
My understanding is that if the formulae refer to cells, names, ranges etc. in another spreadsheet or spreadsheet file, then they are links.

jazzypop
I'm not sure if I've explained the problem very well. I want to have all the linked spreadsheets populated with data and then to be able to select which spreadsheets 'feed' through to the summary sheet to look at different scenarios. Maybe I'm approaching things the wrong way.
I could open all the spreadsheets, clear the data from the spreadsheet/s that I wish to ignore and then update the links. This would be a little fiddly though, and there would be a danger that the cleared spreadsheet could be inadvertantly saved.

jazzypop 20:28 22 Aug 03

Why not just set up multiple worksheets on the 'master' spreadsheet (the one that displays the linked information)?

Each sheet show a different scenario - Sheet1 shows the values from workbooks A, B & C, Sheet 2 shows the values from workbooks B, E & F, and so on.

Or have I misunderstood?

If your problem is more complex than this, go to Help (within Excel), and lookup 'scenario'. It is a more complicated way of achieving what you seem to want, but it will certainly work.

sav 20:44 22 Aug 03

Thanks jazzypop. I wouldn't fancy doing that with lots of sheets but in this instance I think it might be the simplest solution.

I did have a quick look at scenarios but it looked a bit complicated. I might look into this when I've got a bit more time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017