Problem with erratic cursor

Foto 21:41 02 Mar 04

The cursed cursor has a mind of it's own at times and at any time will jump back several words and if I am not looking at the screen, I get a garbled letter which sometimes I am unable to undo. This problem is not confined to Word Pad but occurs on all the typing progs. The kit is a Gateway Solo 2000 laptop with Win 98.
This message is from a very well loved old faithful machine that knows how to behave!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Foto.

daba 21:50 02 Mar 04

Presumably the PC has a 'touchpad' for driving the mouse pointer around the screen, and am I right in thinking you use a standard mouse?

Sometimes the two just don't like living together, so disable the touchpad or the mouse whichever you prefer.

The problem could also be that as you type on the keyboard, your thumbs or wrists are perilously close to the surface of the touchpad, and is moving the pointer around. These touchpads sometimes don't need to be touched at all. I think it is possible to reduce the sensitivity of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…