Problem with Epson Stylus Color 740

Nick052 00:19 12 Apr 03

Hi,

I have a problem with my printer.

The colour ink has actually run out, although the printer doesnt seem to think so (and it only lets you change the ink cartridge when IT thinks its empty).

Does anyone know how to make the printer allow me to change the cartridge?

Thanks for any replies.

ton 00:44 12 Apr 03

With the printer switched on, hold down the paper load button for three seconds. The cartridges should then move to the change position. Press same button again after you've changed the cartridge.

Offline 02:10 12 Apr 03

Or download this click here

ton 02:49 12 Apr 03

I couldn't see the Epson 740 in the supported list at your link. It just supports newer printers.

Offline 08:51 12 Apr 03

You can use it in Unsupported printer mode.

falcaomiami 09:30 12 Apr 03

This printer is still a fantastic one...
However, you should try and read the instructions manual... or download it in a PDF format.
Very simple...
First, you should download the latest driver for your printer, which you will find in the Epson web support page.
Then, after installing the newer drive, you turn the printer on. If the printer does not perform a total maintenance test, then you have to do it manually. Click in the printer properties, then clean the heads and align it.
After that, print a test page and check the quality.
After all this, if the printer still does not recognize that there is not enough ink, PRESS the button in the left, with the 4 (four) little drops for 3 seconds. The cartridges will then move into the middle of the printer. Open the cover...voila..you have the instructions again in the top of the cover written like this:
Replacing and Ink Cartridge!
Epson could not do it any easier...
Good luck!
Enjoy your printer!
Helder Falcao

pj123 10:20 12 Apr 03

Nick052 is right. You cannot change Epson ink cartridges until the Ink LEDs are flashing.

But there is a way. (which I use) Lift the lid, then switch the printer on, when the ink cartridges move to the left pull the power lead out of the back of the printer. You can now physically move the cartridge holders to a position where you can change the cartridges.

When done, put the power lead back in. You may have to reboot your PC to re-initialise the printer.

meatlaff2 14:17 12 Apr 03

Hi Nick
I've got a 760, have had it for a bout 4 yrs and am well pleased with it, but every so often it has a tantrum. I find that totally un installing it then re installing seems to solve any probs I've ever had with it. PS; Since the original Epson ink carts ran out, I been using compatible carts from "choice stationary suplies" (see "computer active" magazine for advert n details. Good luck

meatlaff2 14:17 12 Apr 03

Hi Nick
I've got a 760, have had it for a bout 4 yrs and am well pleased with it, but every so often it has a tantrum. I find that totally un installing it then re installing seems to solve any probs I've ever had with it. PS; Since the original Epson ink carts ran out, I been using compatible carts from "choice stationary suplies" (see "computer active" magazine for advert n details. Good luck

Nick052 21:20 13 Apr 03

Hi,

Many thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, pj123 was right.

I have changed cartridges in the past when the printer told me it was empty - that wasnt the prob.

I tried downloading that prog, but it wouldnt work for my printed.

Ended up following the "power lead" method!

Cheers!

ton 23:02 13 Apr 03

My method (see above) does work with the 740, and is the official way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…