Problem with Email Attachment

spuds 13:19 09 Oct 05

There's got to be a simple answer here, but I cannot think of it this morning.

I have received an email attachment with various bits of information. On opening it, there appears to be three different sections, containing Word,Abode and RAR [ not sure what RAR is about]. I am able to open and printout Abode. RAR was opened using WinAce Archiver v2.6. The word part of the document will not open, and an error message states: Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files.

What advice can you offer!. Any help gladly appreciated.

pj123 13:42 09 Oct 05

Don't know about the other bits but RAR is a zipped file. If you have an unzip program like pkzip/pkunzip or are using Powerdesk (which is what I use) they should be able to unzip it.

MAJ 13:43 09 Oct 05

SEe if this helps, click here spuds.

spuds 15:22 09 Oct 05

pj123-- I have managed to open the RAR side by using WinAce Archiver v2.6. Found this programme after a troubleshooter search this morning.

MAJ-- Read the item and it would appear as though the error message is in relation to installing of Intuit Quicken 2004, strange as I do not have this accounting programme on this computer, but I do have SP1. Would mention that I tried to make a print-out of the link for more intensive reading, but printer as now began playing up. Just not my day today.

Looks like I will perhaps need to contact sender, and ask them how they have completed the email attachment.

Many thanks pj123 and Maj for help offered.Back to the drawing board!.

spuds 21:08 09 Oct 05

VoG II 21:10 09 Oct 05

Presumably you have Word installed?

MAJ 21:22 09 Oct 05

You don't say if you actually tried the fix in that link I posted, spuds. Another MS Knowledge Base entry mentions the same registry edit. click here

Or if, as VoG™ has asked, you have Word, try opening the file manually in Word.

spuds 21:44 09 Oct 05

Maj-- I looked, but got a little worried about the warning on Registry Editor and messing the machine up. It would appear that both information links refer more to SP2 which I am not using. XP with SP1 on my computer.

VoG-- Have Microsoft Word installed, but doesn't seem to want to work with the document, that's what made me wonder about the error message.

spuds 21:59 09 Oct 05

Just been back to Microsoft support and downloaded a couple of programmes. Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word users, plus Word 97-2000 Viewer. Both seem to offer a possible solution, so I will have another play around, and see if they help.

spuds 11:00 10 Oct 05

Had a further play around and WinAce Archiver v2.6 opened all the programmes on the email.

Going to have a further look into the two Microsoft downloads, and see how they work.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…