Problem with eBay seller

pj123 13:41 21 Jan 07

On 12th Jan I won an item on ebay. I sent a personal cheque to the seller on the 15th Jan, (I had to email him to get the name and address for the cheque).

17th Jan the seller marked the item as “Payment Received”.

18th Jan emailed the seller to confirm delivery details. Response received same day advising me that the item would be sent when the cheque clears and he would email me when that was.

21st Jan, checking “My Messages” only to find this seller is “No longer registered with eBay”. He registered as a business seller on 2nd October 2006. What does this imply? Am I likely to get my goods? So far the cheque has not even been presented. Should I stop the cheque?

Diodorus Siculus 13:53 21 Jan 07

Hard to tell - worth emailing him again and asking what's going on. If no reply, then cancel the cheque.

Does ebay have any suggestions about what to do in the case of a dispute?

€dstowe 14:10 21 Jan 07

Business sellers have a different set of eBay rules to abide by compared with the normal casual private individual selling unwanted Christmas presents. Worth checking with eBay.

postie24 14:43 21 Jan 07

Hi it has happened to me aswell.
I tried emailing the seller but got no response.I contacted ebay for the sellers contact details to find the phone number he gave ebay doesnt exist.

Pj123,it might be worth asking ebay for the sellers contact info.
Luckily i paid with paypal and they are taking up the case

Postie24

pj123 14:50 21 Jan 07

I have emailed eBay and this is their standard automated response.

"You can't leave feedback for a member who is showing as "not a registered user". You'll be able to leave feedback only if they become registered again within 90 days of the end of the listing.

In addition, we don't recommend sending payment to a seller if they are not a registered user.

If you've sent payment to a seller who is now "not a registered user" and you haven't received the item after a reasonable period of time, please file an "Item Not Received" dispute. To find out about the process, and what you can claim back from eBay or PayPal, see Item Not Received Process".

What is a "reasonable period of time"?

At the moment the Cheque has not been presented to my bank so I should be able to stop it quite easily. Maybe, in this instance, that's the best way to go. There are plenty of other sellers with the same goods for sale on eBay. I can always bid for another.

postie24 14:53 21 Jan 07

If ebay give you the sellers contact info it might be worth trying to ring him 1st

pj123 16:00 21 Jan 07

Have emailed eBay Customer Services direct, no response yet, (well it is Sunday)

I have also emailed the seller via eBay emails and also to the last known email address I have for him. Again, as it is Sunday I don't expect a reply today. I have a web site URL for his business but when I tried that earlier today all I got was:

"This is the placeholder for domain click here. If you see this page after uploading site content you probably have not replaced the index.html file.

This page has been automatically generated by Plesk".

The xxxx I put in, in case he is still a genuine seller.

pj123 16:05 21 Jan 07

Sorry, didn't mean to create a "click here", should have used spaces.

I have used xxxxxx for the real domain anyway,

looks like www. xxxxxxxxx.co. uk.

postie24 16:10 21 Jan 07

Ok let us know how you get on

Postie24

Phphred 16:11 21 Jan 07

If he had your cheque on 17th then it can take 5 working days to clear in the bank. If he presented it on the 17th. that would be Tuesday at earliest!!

pj123 14:02 22 Jan 07

email received from eBay this morning advising me to stop the cheque. Which I have done.

Have also received an email from the "ex" seller saying this transaction will still go ahead once the cheque has cleared. (he still has not presented the cheque for payment yet).

Have emailed him back and told him I have now stopped the cheque on advice from eBay.

Have offered to continue the transaction provided he delivers the item to me first. Upon receipt I will effect an immediate online bank transfer to him.

Awaiting response.

Seems very strange to me that he has had the cheque since the 17th January and has not put it in to his bank? It was for a considerable amount and if it was given to me I would certainly hot-foot it down to my bank for payment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…