Problem with DVD ROM

poph 20:05 05 Sep 07

Can someone please help. After about 15 minutes from booting up the dvd roms, there are twoe installed, cease to be operable , looking in 2 My Computer" there is no sign of them at all. The drawers wont open, the operating system is windows XP home, be much obliged to anyone with answers.

if you go into device manager,look for the ide/ata/atapi controller expand to reveal secondary ide channel uninstall and re boot.

also try this reset dma tool
click here

there also a upper/lower registry fix if those two dont work out.
click here
back up your registry first

Leslie-212488 20:20 05 Sep 07

or, your data cables have become unplugged. most likely to be power.
When the pc is powering on, the drives should come to life, you should see an LED flicker. Also the fact that you cannot open the DVD tray, points to PSU problem.
Can you supply some more information; like were they working before, what happened before the problem occur, did it happen overnight, that sort of things.

woodchip 20:26 05 Sep 07

I agree with desboy PSU

poph 21:02 05 Sep 07

Thank you Raven, Desboy and Woodchip. I tried the first bit of advise i.e. downloading reset dma tool. This has worked, but after 10 or so minutes, the same happens again and after resetting dma the roms work again, I shall investigate further and come back to you experts as soon as I fail again. Thank you.

poph 20:16 26 Sep 07

Hi guys, after lots of trial and errors I have decided to replaceone of the drives. Would welcome comments on the following:-
Is it possible to use a unit whos interface is SATA with one that is EIDE

skidzy 20:35 26 Sep 07

If not the psu or loose connections,i would say as *THE RAVEN*

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Firstly try resetting the DMA settings incase PIO has been selected over DMA click here

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

Reset the cd/dvd drives in Windows Explorer using the below tool from Doug Knox

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

skidzy 20:35 26 Sep 07

Try this first click here

poph 00:22 18 Oct 07

Many thanks to all of you for your help and advice. The DVD rom was faulty, I have now resolved the problem by fitting a new unit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…