Problem with DVD playback quality on my PC

Stukes 21:59 26 Feb 06

Hello,

I have recently put the DVD-ROM (Samsung SD-608, 8x speed) from a very old Time PC into my current PC (Windows XP, 1.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron processor, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 graphic card, 768MB RAM). My PC also has a CD Rewriter but no other DVD playback facility.

CDs work fine in the DVD drive but when I first tried to play a DVD, using MediaPlayer10 and RealPlayer10, I got error messages about CODECs and decoder plugins.

After searching Download.com I installed the ‘Cole2K Media - Codec Pack v6’, which seemed to solve the problem. I now have picture and sound when playing DVDs BUT the picture skips and the sound is juddery. This is more noticeable on films with fast moving images and loud music but no films are watchable.

I have the same problem with MediaPlayer, RealPlayer and JetAudio (which I just installed after reading about it on another thread).

Is it just the DVD drive that’s pants? Or can I change my PC settings to make this work?

Any (not too technical) help would be greatly appreciated!

Strawballs 23:13 26 Feb 06

Have never found WMP very good at playing DVD's try this click here

Stuartli 23:19 26 Feb 06

Try Windows Media Player Classic plus the K-Lite standard codecs pack (it includes the Classic Player) from:

click here

You should then be able to view DVDs OK. I use to play DVDs on WMP with a 400MHz Celeron years ago...:-)

There's also Nero ShowTime if you have the full version.

Have you Enabled DVD in WMP10's File Types?

Stukes 10:05 27 Feb 06

Thanks for your suggestions.

Strawballs - I have heard that PowerDVD is good but wasn't planning on spending any money at this stage!

Stuartli - I will try out the K-Lite pack when I get home tonight and let you know how it goes. Don't have Nero ShowTime. Will check WMP10 settings also.

Thanks again :)

Stukes 22:24 28 Feb 06

Sorted. Media Player Classic plus K-Lite codecs pack works a treat.

Thanks!

Stuartli 23:18 28 Feb 06

Glad to hear it..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…