Problem DVD Drive

will 10:26 03 Jan 07

My wife's pc has a 2 DVD drives, One is a plain DVD ROM and the second is a DVD RW (Phillips PBDV1640P). THe first drive works fine however the DVD RW does not work. I can see the drive in explorer and the device manager states that the drive is working properly. The drive drawer will not open automatically and if I open it manually with a paper clip and insert and disc it still does not work.
I have opened the pc and the 2 drives are connected to the motherboard by the same wide ribbon cable - does this mean that they are IDE drives?
Operating systen is XP home
Can anyone help please?
Cheers in advance,
Bill

recap 10:36 03 Jan 07

Is the cable is fitted the correct way round?

will 10:44 03 Jan 07

Yes - the drive used to work and the cable has not been touched.

The Old Mod 11:16 03 Jan 07

Hi, make sure the power cable has not worked loose, the drawer etc is powered by this and not the ribbon cable.

Stuartli 11:22 03 Jan 07

Have you checked that the rewriter is jumpered as the Master and the ROM drive as the Slave?

If these are not correct then only one drive will be recognised or be able to be used at a time.

will 13:14 03 Jan 07

Old Mod - the power cable is still firmly attached - thanks.

Stuartli - how do i do this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…