Problem with Duron 1330 on QDI Kinetiz 7B pt2

BrianW 19:21 28 Jan 03

From an earlier posting I explained that upgrading from Duron 750 to 1300 was proving problematic. I closed the thread when I thought I had cooked the CPU. I have since had it checked by a friendly PC builder and it is OK. AMD (+ others on this forum suggested more power). A friendly local PC builder lent me a 550w PSU to try. I am still getting the same result, if I can get past post the system recognises and sets the multipliers as 6.5X200 ie:1300 which is correct, Win98se appears and all seems OK for about 1 - 3 mins, then total lock up. I have tried setting the RAM as 100 hz (it is 133 and the board is set to use either 100 or 133) FSB is auto set and confirmed at 100. Votages and temoeratures are all fine (CPU core 36C and system 27C just before lock up). I am stumped. Any ideas gratefully received but I wonder if the board is in fact capable of using the new Morgan cored Durons?

cream. 20:02 28 Jan 03

How much ram do you have in the machine? what sort?

Have you tried;

Manually setting the multiplier to say 5.0 and see if it will boot. If it does and is stable you could gradually increase it.

If you have more than 1 stick of ram, just try 1 stick in different slots?

If you are using ddr ram, can you get your hands on a stick of sdram?

BrianW 20:17 28 Jan 03

Thanks for the input, single stick of 256mb X 133 sdram. Thought about changing the multiplier but was told that the Duron was multiplier locked so even if I change jumpers on my m'board the system will not let me boot at a lower or higher speed. Bummer really, bcause AIDA32 tells me that my existing Duron750 could operate at up to 1400! I will look again and see if there is any way I can follow your idea.

cream. 20:27 28 Jan 03

Yes you will find that a lot of durons and athlons can be physically altered to run at far superior speeds.

There is a body of thought that NEARLY all AMD chips are the same,only in there sub category, but it is the way the gates are connected on the top of the chip that determines the speed.

Some just need the architecture altered with a graphite pencil, while some need physical work to the top of the chip.

I do not know your board but there should be a manual multiplier on it. You can usually disable the autodetect cpu in the bios.

BrianW 16:02 29 Jan 03

I think I have finally tracked this problem down. It looks as if there is a later BIOS update I need to load to enable it to use the Duron1300 properly. The question now is whether I feel up to a BIOS update - hmm? ;>}}.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…