Problem dual booting XP and 7

m800afc 12:20 06 Feb 09

I have installed 7 on its own partition and it seems to be working. I normally use a Saitek Eclipse 3 USB keyboard.
When I try to boot the computer, the boot manager has 7 highlighted as default. At this stage the keyboard does not work at all, none of the leds are lit. I have to directly power down the computer. If I want to boot into XP, I have to replace the keyboard with a standard one.
Is there a way to persuade 7 to acknowledge my Saitek before the boot manager requests a decision?

T I M B O 13:05 06 Feb 09

Somebody else came in yesterday with the same problem, i did not stick around what the result was but you could read back over yesterdays entries. I have asked other techies Howe ever that putting Win 7 on an old XP machine is not a good move, i heard it's a smoother transition from Vista to Win 7. It could be just a diver issue, im really not sure.

T I M B O 13:06 06 Feb 09

driver*

T0SH 13:14 06 Feb 09

Turning on USB legacy support (it is often called other names) in BIOS setup should get your keyboard working at boot option time

Cheers HC

MAJ 13:17 06 Feb 09

Try changing the boot order so that XP is the default. Right-click "My Computer" choose Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery section "Settings" button and choose XP from the dropdown list, Click Apply and OK to exit and reboot.

m800afc 14:33 06 Feb 09

MAJ
Thanks for the advice, I can now get into XP with the Saitek.
It seems there is a known USB port problem in 7. Apparently if some hardware is unplugged, 7 refuses to recognise it even when plugged back into the same USB port.

crosstrainer 14:40 06 Feb 09

Vista does that with some usb keyboards as well, looks like they have yet to sort it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…