problem with drivers from windows me update

pcrookie 19:13 10 Dec 03

apologies if this has already been raised before but having continually been advised by windows update that updated drivers were available for my via ac'97 enhanced audio controller(wdm) and via ac'97 controller(wdm), i decided to download them. problem is that when i did the sound stopped working and the speaker icon in the tray disappeared. i also got an error code(0xc00d11ba condition 0x00000000)unable to play file when trying to use windows media player9. fortunately, i was able to use the restore facility to put everything to rights but can anybody throw some light on what i might be doing wrong.
thanx in advance.

johnnyrocker 19:15 10 Dec 03

would suggest getting the updates from via site direct as i have read a couple of stories re ms updates for other products not working.

johnny.

Diodorus Siculus 19:16 10 Dec 03

Yes, it happens with MS suggesting driver updates - it screwed up my modem drivers once which left me unable to connect to the net to get new ones... that was fun.

Generally speaking, I go to the manufacturers site for drivers and live by the adage that if it is not broken, don't fix it.

961 19:18 10 Dec 03

Agree with Johnnyrocker. Have had previous experience of downloading drivers from update site to find things were not good and then gone to manufactureres web site, downloaded new driver and all restored to sanity

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…