Problem with 'DMI pool data'

amis 12:43 18 May 03

Having tried and failed to upgrade from Windows 95 to 98, I started moving/deleting the Windows folder in DOS, between the C and D drives (my computer has 2 hard drives), to try and get the upgrade to work.

I got as far as having to undelete some of the Windows files!

Then, when I tried to re-boot again, I no longer got as far as starting DOS or Windows. Instead, the message 'verifying DMI pool data' is displayed and the system hangs.

I've found some other threads here, which suggest resetting the BIOS and SETUP defaults to overcome this problem. I've tried these but still get the same message.

Can anyone help?

jazzypop 13:01 18 May 03

If you have two drives, why not just install W98 onto the second drive, and set that as master?

amis 14:29 18 May 03

I can't see any way to load Windows as this message displays before DOS or Windows is loaded and before the CD-ROM drive is recognised.

jazzypop 14:48 18 May 03

Disconnect the original drive that had W95 installed, make sure your second drive is set up as a Master.

Boot the PC with the W98 CD in the drive - it should then boot from the CD and install W98 (asking for you to insert the W95 disc during setup, if your version of W98 is an upgrade version).

If the PC will not boot from CD, you need to boot with a W98 boot floppy in the drive. If you do not have one, you can download one from the Web - search Google for 'download W98 boot floppy', or use something like a Universal Boot Disk (UBD) that does the same thing.

Once you have W98 installed, re-set the jumpers on your original drive to Slave, reconnect it, and it will reappear as Drive D, with all of your original data intact. You will need to reinstall your programs to your second drive (with W98 installed on), which will now be Drive C

click here

te answer

GrahamP 15:15 18 May 03

Amis,

I've just fixed a problem very similar to yours.
Win98 freezes immediately after displaying "Verifying DMI pool data". There follows a line with "LI" and the flashing cursor and nothing will take it further forward. Mostly it will not respond to ctl-alt-dlet either. This is the point at which the BIOS bootstrap hands control to the MBR (Master Boot Record) code area at the beginning of your hard disk. This can be fixed with the undocumented FDISK /MBR switch. As far as I can determine you cannot direct this to a particular volume so disconnect your other volume, make sure this one is connected to your primary ide channel and that it is jumpered as master. Then boot via DOS floppy (Win98 Emergency Boot Floppy is ideal but whatever you use must have FDISK.exe) and at the A prompt enter FDISK /MBR. Your BIOS may issue a Boot Sector update warning. Reply yes.
Under normal circumstances this only upadates the code area but if the signature bytes at the end of MBR are damaged, it will also update the MBR partition table so you could lose data.

As regards Jazzypop's suggestion of doing a clean install of Win98 to your second drive. This has a lot of advantages (ditch all the old rubbish you've accumulated) and is the way I went.
You can copy and reinstall anything you really want to take with you afterwards. Then if anything goes wrong you can re-partition, reformat, re-fdisk /mbr etc the target drive
without worrying about losing data.

amis 18:00 18 May 03

Thank you Jazzypop and to horiz5 and Graham P. for all your help on this.

I've tried rebooting as you suggest, with Windows 98 in the CD drive and a start up floppy disc in the A drive. (I made this from my other PC where Win 98 is running ok).

It seems to pick up the start up floppy disk ok, does various checks and then stops with the message 'no valid CDROM device drivers selected'

Could this be because they need to be loaded in DOS or on the floppy? Is there anyway you know how this could be done?

jazzypop 20:51 18 May 03

Yes, you need the correct CD-Rom drivers on the floppy. Probably the easiest way to overcome this is to go to click here and download their Ultimate Boot Disk (which contains many more CD-Rom drivers than the W98 boot floppy).

Follow the instructions on the web site carefully, especially the section about how to install Windows.

In essence, you download the program, run it, and it will create a startup floppy for you. You then restart the PC with the floppy in the drive.

amis 22:19 18 May 03

Thanks again for your help, jazzypop.

However, another problem!

When I try to do the download you suggest, or any other download (from my other working computer on Windows 98), I just get a blank screen with a small box in the top left hand corner. The box has a red square, green circle and blue triangle. I reported this to my ISP some time ago and they suggested I might be using high-level security settings to reject cookies etc. I set everything I could to default settings but it makes no difference and I gave up in the end.

Any suggestions?

jazzypop 22:28 18 May 03

What happens when you right-click a link, and choose 'save target as'?

Are you confident enought to enter and adjust settings in the BIOS? It is just possible that your motherboard will let you boot from the CD-Rom (with a few adjustments), in which case you do not need the floppy disk.

amis 22:21 19 May 03

Thanks again for your help, jazzypop.

The right click to 'save target as' did work and I downloaded the UBD. However, when I booted up with this floppy, again the process halted at 'analysing DMI pool data'. I booted up again with the Win 98 boot disk and this got past the DMI check but failed to find the CD drive. I then accessed the UBD floppy and tried to loaded Win 98. It did seem to register the CD drive as an X drive, but then failed shortly after, saying that a drive could not be found.

At this point I think I'll admit defeat and see if I can get some 'professional' help!

Thanks again for all your support!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…